Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Jul 17, 2010 @ 00:58
    Nicholas Westby

Can't Deploy to Multiple Sites (Multilanguage)

I can't seem to get Umbraco to deploy to two local websites on my computer: usa.mycompany.com and china.mycompany.com.

I'm working with Umbraco 4.5 on Vista Home Premium with IIS7. I created two websites using IIS and edited my "hosts" file so usa.mycompany.com points to 127.0.0.4 and china.mycompany.com points to 127.0.0.5. If I toss an index.html in the folders corresponding to each site (c:\intetpub\wwwroot\usa.mycompany.com and c:\inetpub\wwwroot\china.mycompany.com), I can view them with my browser just fine.

I setup Umbraco with two nodes (USA and China) under "Content" and pointed each to their respective domain (usa.mycompany.com and china.mycompany.com). When I save/publish those nodes and open the links to the homepage for each site, I am given a page that says "Server Error in '/'Application" and "The resource cannot be found." Sure enough, I check the folders for each site in wwwroot and there are no files in them.

Any idea why the content isn't being deployed? Perhaps a permission issue? Maybe I need to install some Umbraco files in each website? Something else? This video ( http://umbraco.org/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/running-multiple-sites/structure,-domains-and-languages ) skipped the part about setting up each domain and just jumped right into deploying the content, so it wasn't much help.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Jul 17, 2010 @ 01:38
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Nicholas,

if you are creating 2 'web sites' in one Umbraco installation then it is in fact just one web application running on your sever which serves both host names. In your case you would create one web site in IIS7 pointing to the root folder of your Umbraco installation and add b oth hostnames to it. In Umbraco you use then 'Manage hostnames' from the context menu on each root node of your sub sites and set it to the respective host names. Umbraco will then take care of associating the incoming requests to the correct sub site.

Best regards,

Sascha

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 17, 2010 @ 09:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In addition to that, just point both sites to 127.0.0.1, you don't need to have multiple IP addresses for them.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 19:09
    Nicholas Westby

Ah, so I just create the two websites with the same physical directory as the Umbraco website. I'll give that a try when I can get my hands on a computer with IIS7 again. Thanks!

Edit: Worked like a charm!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft