Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 13:45
    Sebastiaan Janssen

So, what can we do about the "unblocking" problem?

Apparently, Microsoft has recently enabled blocking zip files that have been downloaded from the internet. It's something that is supposed to be respected by every browser (and as far as I know it IS being respected by IE, Firefox and Chrome). 

When you the Umbraco unzip file that is blocked, it will not unzip a few files that it thinks are potentially dangerous to your machine. And in the end, that causes the "empty trees" problem that many people have been having recently. How annoying, especially because it's not an obvious problem, especially people new to Umbraco will just think the binaries are bad and might abandon Umbraco completely.

So, what can we do about this? The only thing I can come up with now is not to offer a .zip file, but a self-extracting .exe file. I like them because I can still use 7zip to open them up and unzip them. However, I am not 100% sure that these files will not be blocked either.

Another option is to make it an explicit step/check in the umbraco installation. Try to find out if files  are missign and explain the user to unblock the zip file.

Any other ideas?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 15:06
    Rik Helsen

checking existance of files and performing a crc check would be interesting from mutiple perpectives

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 15:40
    atze187

There are some workarounds over here (method #3 might be of interest, the others suck and a solution that enables website operators to prevent their files from being tagged with zone information should not be expected):

http://www.petri.co.il/unblock-files-windows-vista.htm

Hope this helps you.

Jul 22, 2010 @ 16:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That's what I though Rik!

Thanks Atze, but they are no solutions at the moment, you don't want to tell users to disable the function, it's quite useful to prevent malware from coming into your machine! Anyway, we need something automated, it's currently not discoverable for anybody and you need to be able to tell users why their install is not working/will not be working.

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 11:40
    atze187

Apparently users als could add for example *.codeplex.com to their "Trusted Sites" using the Windows "Internet Options", so they are not required unblock the downloads anymore.

Jul 23, 2010 @ 11:46
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is still not discoverable for anybody. The point is that everybody that HAS this problem doesn't know anything about files being blocked. Hence the plethora of Tweets and forum questions about the empty trees problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft