Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 03, 2010 @ 22:30
    Lee Kelleher

Upgrading from v2.1.1 to v4.5.1

Hi all,

I've been tasked with bring an old Umbraco install (v2.1.1) up to date with the latest version (v4.5.1). The website is quite active and approx. 4 years-old, so there is a fair amount of content and media to deal with too! (a few thousand nodes).

I figure my options are...

1. Start afresh with v4.5.1 - and figure out a way to import all the content, media, doc-types, etc.
    2. Follow an upgrade path; from 2.1.1 -> 2.1.2 -> ... -> 3.0.3 -> 3.0.6 -> ... -> 4.0 -> 4.5

Each of these options raises a LOT of questions!

Option 1: Taking a fresh v4.5.1 install is fine - but then how to get the data from v2.1.1? For example, there isn't a doc-type exporter, or package creator (to export the content/media).  I could use the web-services, or "umbraco.xml", or something else?

The alternative is to do it manually ... thats fine for doc-types, but a few thousand content/media nodes? No thank you!

Option 2: I'd be much happier following an upgrade path, but I have no idea where to find all the archived/legacy releases of Umbraco? (The earliest I can find is v3.0.6 on CodePlex!)  Still, would the upgrade path work?

Any ideas/suggestions on how you'd tackle this?

Thanks, Lee.

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Aug 03, 2010 @ 22:46
    Jesper Hauge

I did something similar recently when upgrading a site from v3.0.6 to v4.1.

I ended up recreating site in new version, this also gave me the opportunity to clean up html, css, xslt and code. Then I wrote some xslt for the old site that exported old sites content to xml-files of my own schema ( I needed to do that because I wanted to restructure some of the content while exporting ), but afterwards I thought it might have been a better idea to just grab umbraco.config from the old file and write some import code directly on this file using linq-to-xml

Biggest hurdle was that a lot of the nodes I needed to import had files attached via upload controls, so I needed to create code that copied the files and images to the new site. Unfortunately I couldn't find any methods in the api that enabled creating thumbnails to be used in the backend, so the new content doesn't show thumbnails for imported images.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft