Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joshua Martyn 5 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 01:41
    Joshua Martyn

Database not found! error during upgrade from ver 3.0.6 to 4.5.1

Hello,

I'm getting a database not found error on step 2 of 5 when upgrading from ver 3.0.6 to 4.5.1.  Running the same step on a blank database works fine, but when I get to this screen when connecting to our existing database, I get the database not found error.

Any help or clues on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Josh

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 01:50
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Joshua,

I've actually just done a v3.0.6 upgrade to v4.5.1 ... all went smoothly - but I did it as a staggered upgrade path - literally applying each upgrade release between 3.0.6 and 4.5.1.

3.0.6 -> 4.0.1 -> 4.0.2.1 -> 4.0.3 -> 4.0.4.2 -> 4.5.0 0 -> 4.5.1  **phew**

I copied the "bin", "install", "umbraco" and "umbraco_client" for each release - with the exception of 3.0.6 -> 4.0.1 where I manually updated the Web.config (and other config files). Then ran the upgrade installer for each one.  Its a long-winded process, but like I say it went very smoothly!

Not sure what the "database not found error" is about.  You've probably already checked, but make sure that the connection-string is correct - I've been caught out with typos a few times!

Best of luck, Lee.

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 02:21
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Joshua,

Can you give us some specifics on your environment - specifically, server OS, IIS version, .NET version, and database type (SQL Server or MySQL)?

Best,

Benjamin

Aug 06, 2010 @ 21:32
    Joshua Martyn

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.  I'm on Win 2008 server, MS SQL 2008, .NET 3.5.   

I'll try the staggered approach if you all think that is best.

Thanks, Josh

Aug 10, 2010 @ 23:05
    Joshua Martyn

Hello again.  Does anyone have any more ideas?  Is there a DB upgrade script that I can use instead?

Thanks, Josh

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Aug 25, 2010 @ 23:05
    William Burnett

Josh... I don't have ideas but am working on the same type of problem.  What step are you failing at? I could not get 3.anything to upgrade to ANYTHING  BUT 4.0RC and still had issues. From what I have read I MUST go to 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 first.

LEE can you post a link to each of the older umbraco packages? They are no longer available. I need 3.0.6 onward, as I am still at 3.0.3 on several of my sites.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 25, 2010 @ 23:32
    Lee Kelleher

Hi William,

This is very very unofficial, I have uploaded all released to one of my personal websites. Download what you need from there.

http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/

I got the majority of these releases from Peter Dijksterhuis - a lifesaver - so many many thanks to him!

It would be good to have an official repository for the legacy releases - especially for developers who get those random requests to upgrade an install from v2.1.1! ;-)

Best of luck!

Cheers, Lee.

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 00:38
    William Burnett

Lee,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond. If you poke around the forum a bit, you may get the impression that I have come somewhat unhinged today... I have!

A missing step or typo in a doc is one thing, but the state of documentation for the basic tasks needed to install and upgrade this product is a serious issue. To get what should be simple step by step procedures done, you have to search for hours and patch together incomplete instructions and blog posts instead of following a simple step by step guide that covers the needed tasks. I am worn out just trying to migrate a site from 3.0.3 to something newer. I have done at least a dozen and half SQL restores, directory copies and upgrade attempts. I am SURE that if I had the proper documentation it would be a 20 minute job, not a 2 day adventure.

The lack of docs is one thing, but the utter lack of a file archive is almost laughable. I guess I should download and save all of the V4 stuff before it gets deleted to make room for V5!

Thanks again for the link! I will be sure to archive them and can host them if others need them (if I am allowed?).

• Siw Ørnhaug 130 posts 109 karma points
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 11:00
    Siw Ørnhaug

Hi guys,

I just tried to install the copy of a 3.0.6 site, moving from a Windows 2003/ Sql 2005/express environment to Windows 2008 / Sql server 2008 / IIS7.5

I get the error

HTTP Error 500.22 - Internal Server Error

An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated managed pipeline mode.

with a couple of suggestions.

My plan was to upgrade 3.0.6 --> 4.0.4.2 --> 4.5.2 --> 4.7.1 which I've done a couple of times before, on this same server, but then starting with 4.0.4.2.

I was not prepared for problems with just running the original site on the new server. I'm not a server wiz, do you know how to go about this?

Thankfull for any advice!

Siw

Jun 14, 2012 @ 14:14
    Siw Ørnhaug

So the trouble is over for this time. Had to set permissions on folders (app pool permissions not enough) and change app pool to asp.net classic.

Jun 18, 2012 @ 12:32
    Siw Ørnhaug

HELP!

Long pause before trying to upgrade from 3.0.6 to 4.0.4.2.

Step 2/5 fails: I don't get an upgrade, Umbraco wants to install instead!

I don't understand what I can do about that, hitting the Install button only generates database errors!

Hope someone knows what is happening here!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft