Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Harbor 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 12:35
    Harbor

Can't connect to embedded database

Hi

I try to use embedded SQL Server 2005 express databese as the wiki information about "using embedded database". But it just can't connect to the databese.

It said that a new user instance to sql server can't be created.

I make an empty site to test the connecting way in VS2008. It works fine when debugging with VS2008. But it goes wrong in IIS.

Does it do with something about permission?

Any suggestion?

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 13:58
    Darren Ferguson

Which version of Umbraco?

Which Wiki page are you following?

• Harbor 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 09:26
  • Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 14:12
    Kyle Skrinak

OK, what am I missing? The installer states that one can "use the embedded database which does not require any information from your ISP or system administrators, and will install right away." Sounds great, but I read elsewhere (the above link is broken, use: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/using-umbraco-with-an-embedded-sql-server-database-(sql-server-express-user-instance)) instructions for creating a new mdf from scratch, not for connecting to the existing mdf. I don't have VS to create an empty UmbracoDF.mdf instance.

So there's an embedded db we can use "right away," but not really? 

It appears that the umbraco.mdf is a "dummy" file, to be ignored: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10232-umbracomdf-in-Umbraco-45

It appears that the "right away embedded database" doesn't exist and that textual reference is a red herring?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 14:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kyle

The embedded vistaDB disapeared from Umbraco since it suddenly had a changed license, which would require Umbraco to pay some fees, which I think seemed unfair an a way.

But with the release of umbraco Juno in near future there is another embedded DB called CE SQL, which is an embedded databaste from Microsoft. So soon you will be able to setup an Umbraco installation without using MSSQL or MySQL.

I hope this info helps?

/Jan

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 14:44
    Kyle Skrinak

Jan: much thanks. I've learned that after extensive googling this morning, trying to do the "right away" thing. I'm wary of starting a new project on a beta, however, and I'm going to simply create a new db via SQL Server 08, which I should have done to begin with. Curiosity and red herring text is killing this cat.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft