Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris May 3 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 09:55
    Chris May

Setting up Umbraco with MS Web Platform Gives 404 on Install

I just went through the process of installing Umbraco using the MS Web Platform install, and it creates a virtual application off of the IIS root.  When you try to view the first page, it tries to redirect you to /install/default.aspx, which of course doesn't exist because it's in /AppNameWhatever/Install/Default.aspx.

I moved everything to the root and it seems like things started working.  I hope this helps the next person so they don't have to spend as much time as I did trying to figure out why nothing was working.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 09:21
    Per Ploug

Hi Chris

Umbraco 4.0 does not support virtual directories, but web PI still allows you to set it up like one. 

Umbraco 4.5.1 which is currently awaiting review by the web PI team does support virtual directories

/per

• Chris May 3 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:53
    Chris May

Yes this is what I found after some investigation.  Maybe the tool that does the install can't be customized to warn the user, or to skip the virtual directory part, but it seemed like it was a required input as part of the installation to provide the name of the virtual application that would be used, as opposed to some option that I selected when I shouldn't have.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft