Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lewis 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 15:03
    Lewis

Object not found error - Umbraco 3.0

I've finally managed to get Umbraco 3 installed on my VPS and all appears OK until I start creating document types, as soon as I select the "Create" menu method, the page gets redirected and then I receive a script error something along the lines of "Object not found" line 9, if I attempt to debug it complains about the tab control. The page is displayed but there appears to be controls missing. Some pictures will help here;

I've manually installed this using instructions found on Umbraco.org. I'm using SQL Server 2005, .NET 2.0, Ajax Toolkit 2.0, on a Windows 2003 virtual server running on virtuozzo (sp?). I've checked and double checked and I'm pretty sure I've set all the permissions on the folders correctly.

Anyone hit this issue? Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Cheers

Lewis

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 14, 2010 @ 10:05
    Darren Ferguson

Not much help but can I ask the obvious question - Why are you installing such an old version of Umbraco?

Aug 14, 2010 @ 15:13
    Lewis

I'm using a VPS that runs on Virtuozzo, and Virtuozzo doesn't support .NET 3.5. From what I've found (there doesn't seem to be a definitive list of pre-reqs anywhere) and read in the forums\Google Umbraco 4.0 requires .NET 3.5 (and possibly SQL Server 2008 but again that isn't clear).

If Umbraco 4.0 will *definitely* run happily on .NET 2.0, then I'm quite happy installing that.

Aug 14, 2010 @ 16:25
    Lewis

Further to this, I've now installed Umbraco 4.0. I now get a different problem - Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions.

Source Error:

Line 152:
    Line 153:  <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 154:  <system.web.extensions>
    Line 155:    <scripting>
    Line 156:      <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 154

From the searching I've done on this error, it would appear that the System.Web extensions aren't installed. Yet they are and are visible in the C:\Windows\Assembly folder. So, feels like a step backward at this point.

Aug 14, 2010 @ 16:30
    Lewis

FFS, this thread says thet the latest release *requires* .NET 4.0. http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10776-Unrecognized-configuration-section-systemwebextensions

Looks like I'm going to have to install 4.0.4.2.

<rant>bit of a joke this, Umbraco definitely needs a pre-req page</rant>

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:41
    Kevin Farrow

You can install version 4.0.4.2 from here:

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/37337

Also make sure you have installed ASP.NET AJAX 1.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca9d90fa-e8c9-42e3-aa19-08e2c027f5d6&displaylang=en

Regards,
    Kevin Farrow

Aug 14, 2010 @ 22:02
    Lewis

Thanks, I have already installed the ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 components. I've also installed 4.0.4.2. After installing 4.0.4.2 I hit a further error. This error was something along the lines of "Child Nodes not allowed" and was flagging up the "CompilerVersion" in the web.config file. here;

<!-- ASPNET3.5 CODEDOM-->
      <system.codedom>
        <compilers>
          <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
            <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
            <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
          </compiler>
        </compilers>
      </system.codedom> 

After a fair amount of searching it turns out that this error is fixed with .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1. I installed .NET 2.0 Service Pack 2 and that error went away. I fired up Umbraco and hit yet another error - this time its complaining that it can't find System.Core version 3.5;

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 96:       
    Line 97:         
    Line 98:         
    Line 99:         
    Line 100:        

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 98

Clearly something is looking for some .NET3.5 components. At this stage I don't know if I've missed something or need to edit the web.config or what. I know that I definitely can't install .NET 3.5 though! 

Guess its off to Google to find out.

Aug 14, 2010 @ 23:01
    Lewis

Resolved this. Had to get a older web.config file from umbraco_403.zip and use that. After that I hit http://localhost and the install started, all went well until the Runway module tried to install. This failed with a compiler "out of storage space" error. Not sure what this relates to as I have 8Gb free on my drive, I hit "Back" and then "Next" on the browser and this it failed with a "compilation error on line 28". I did some research and found this can sometimes be caused by aspnet not being registered with IIS correctly. So once again today, I ran aspnet_regiis -i and pressed "Back" then "Next" again on my browser. This time it failed with a scary looking error regarding MAC key in the Machine.Config. I closed the browser and hit http://localhost again, the install fired up, detected my previous settings and then on the last page this said that Runway was already installed and offered me a selection of modules to install. I checked all of them, hit "Next" and waited and then (to my surprise) the install completed successfully.

I now have a "proper" looking Umbraco install, which appears to be working correctly:

TFFT, and it's only taken about a week!

<sarcasm>Now I'm off to do some reading on rocket science. After that install experience I figure rocket science will be a piece of cake!</sarcasm>

Aug 14, 2010 @ 23:04
    Lewis

I realise that this whole thread has basically been me, but I hope it helps someone. I seem to have hit pretty much every error going and still managed to install it. Hopefully that's it and after several years of lurking around the forums \ running local installs of Umbraco I'll be able to offer it to some of my clients.

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Aug 15, 2010 @ 09:40
    Kevin Farrow

I think you will find that it is most definitely not "it" as far as problems are concerned :-)

I use Umbraco for a number of projects and the system and packages are full of problems/bugs so make sure you backup every day and/or before you install any packages or do anything in the system. Umbraco is good as long as you remember... "you get what you pay for"

Regards,
    Kevin

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 09:56
    Darren Ferguson

"<rant>bit of a joke this, Umbraco definitely needs a pre-req page</rant>"

The link to download the latest release (from codeplex) is titled:

Umbraco 4.5.1 release Binary (.NET 4)

and there is a second download:

Umbraco 4.5.1 release Binary (.NET 3.5)

I think these are pretty clear about the versions required.

It took me all of 2 minutes to find the following in the install guides on the release page for Umbraco 4.0.

Umbraco is built on ASP.NET 2.0 and requires the ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 extensions.
    Note: umbraco also runs under ASP.NET 3.5. ASP.NET AJAX is built-into ASP.NET
    3.5. If you are running ASP.NET 3.5 you may skip this step.

I agree that the information is in a dispersed and inconsistent format - but the information is there if you take the time to RTFM before you start installing.

I do think however that adding the requirements at the top of the release notes for each version is a very good idea.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft