Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JacoboPolavieja 62 posts 84 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 17:52
    JacoboPolavieja

Moving from server to localhost

Hello all,

I'm trying to move an existing web server installation of Umbraco to my localhost. The steps I did after reading some posts on the Umbraco forum were:

- Create a new site on IIS

- Download all the server content via FTP to the site

- Adjust permissions

- Backup and restore the database. (see points below)

- Change my "umbracoDbDSN" to: <add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=127.0.0.1,1433;database=thehoopsmarket-umbraco-db;user id=umbracoUser;password=mypassword" />

The problems are:

1. When I tried restoring the database from a backup file from the server to either an empty database or one after installing Umbraco locally on the directory, I got the message "the backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing". This was donde through the SQL Server Management Studio.

2. As I couldn't get it donde via backup&restore I logged through Management Studio on the web server database and did an "Export data" to my local database. It all went well (although it put one "Warning" up: Warning 0x80049304: Data Flow Task 1: Warning: Could not open global shared memory to communicate with performance DLL; data flow performance counters are not available.  To resolve, run this package as an administrator, or on the system's console).
    But I run that as an admin on my local database.

When I try to log in my localhost or display any page I get the error: "Invalid object name 'umbracoDomains' (screenshot).

I have compared my local table "umbracoDomains" and the server one and both seem to be without any data.

Any idea what's missing? Thanks a lot... achieving this would be great and I'll make a step-by-step tutorial for the wiki!

Cheers!

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 01:47
    Amir Khan

Did you ever solf this? I'm having the same issue.

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 09:29
    Rik Helsen

- Is your localhost and production environment running the same version of SQL?
    - make it easier for yourself and give the database the same name on both systems (I believe this solves "the backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing")

Your second issue could be due to version differences (2008 vs 2005 or express) and permissions issues.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 23:04
    Alex Skrypnyk

I have same problem

- Same name of databases didn't solve this problem

- SQL same version

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Sep 23, 2011 @ 08:15
    Matthias

are you sure about the same SQL Server versions? I had a similar issue...also SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 make a difference (not compatible).

• carbonrb 22 posts 71 karma points
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:14
    carbonrb

Hi Jacobo,

I am not sure if this will fix the error in this case, but I have found the umbracoDomains error is due to schemas and users used to access the copied DB.

I have found that changing the schema to dbo resolves this problem and can be achieved (as long as only the Umbraco tables for you website are contained in the database) with the following SQL script:

exec sp_MSforeachtable 'ALTER SCHEMA dbo TRANSFER ?'

For more details, I have recently written an article on copying an Umbraco Website found at the following URL:

http://www.carbonsoft.co.uk/articles/2012/06/copying-an-umbraco-instance.aspx

I hope this helps,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft