Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Barnhouse 40 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 22, 2010 @ 21:16
    Steve Barnhouse

Database question for deploying on a shared hosting account.

On my localhost, I'm using SQL Server and I use SQL Server Management Studio to create a new database for each website.  Then I test the different sites using different ports on localhost.  Now I'm ready to deploy.

I have a "reseller" account with a shared hosting provider (reliablesite.net) that allows me to host multiple domains but only offers one database.  Can I use one database for multiple umbraco sites?  Or do I need to purchase a separate database for each domain?  That seems like overkill for a small site.

Thanks!

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 22, 2010 @ 23:34
    Paul Blair

Hi,

You can run multiple websites of 1 database but it can be difficult to manage - Especially if those sites a reunrelated. If you have a client who has 2 or more websites you should definelty consider running them of the same Umbraco install.

To run multiple websites of 1 install have useDomainPrefixes=true in config/umbracosettings.config, set the 1'st content node below the root as the home for each site and right click on the hoempage to manage the hostnames.

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 00:06
    Hendy Racher

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to run seperate sites, each with their set of data tables, but only use one database for that very reason. An option to prefix table names for a site would be handy :)

Aug 23, 2010 @ 07:00
    Steve Barnhouse

Hmmm.  It just occurred to me that I might be able to install SQL Server Express on each domain.  I don't have any experience with Express, but I'll look into it.

--steve

Aug 23, 2010 @ 18:56
    Steve Barnhouse

I confirmed with ReliableSite.net that they do not support SQL Server Express, so since my sites are unrelated and owned by different clients, the solution is to purchase a database for each Umbraco web site.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft