Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Aug 25, 2010 @ 22:02
    William Burnett

Trying (again) to get from 3.0.3 to 4.something

After more lost umbraco forum posts, it appears that one MUST upgrade 3.0.3 to at least 3.0.5 before moving to 4.anything, otherwise thre will be problems. The rub is that there are no longer download links to any of the 3.x packages.

The level of fustration is steadily building here folks...  I can't be alone, there have to be plenty of users that upgrade a productiom site from 3.0  to 4.x  I can not fathom why there are not clean detailed instructions and links to the needed files.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 25, 2010 @ 22:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi William

Maybe this wiki entry on upgrading can help you? http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation

/Jan

Aug 25, 2010 @ 22:52
    William Burnett

That page has only partial details and/or leaves out some of the changes that need to be made when moving from each version. Just look at the forums over the last week or so, they are full of people who are having upgrade issue because the documentation is is poor. One document says to delete the app_global.asax another doesn't. One doc says edit the ~/bin entries, another doesn't, etc. Several upgrade blogs list even more REQUIRED steps. The AJAX information is not complete... on and on. There information is confusing at best.

In any case, the above document does not cover 3.x to 4.x. Other posts on the OLD forum indicate that 3.0 needs to be upgraded to 3.0.1 then to 3.0.2 then to 3.0.3 then to 3.0.5 or 3.0.6 or there will be lingering issues. This all must be done before moving to 4.0

I tried to go from 3.0.3 to 4.0RC but encountered some odd problems and have had to start over.

3.0.3 WILL NOT upgrade to ANYTHING but the buggy 4.0RC. I tried to upgrade from 3.0.3 to 4.0.4.2 but the database was not recognized.

The problem is that NONE of the needed downloads are still available. While I think umbraco is a wonderful CMS, with each passing hour, I am more convinced that the "project" is a VERY poorly managed and documented mess that is growing into a 6 headed monster.  Who wants to spend hours scouring the web to figure out how to upgrade their CMS every time a new release is published?

Honestly, I can't fathom why there is not ONE PLACE that clearly outlines the needed steps to upgrade from one version to the next and include links to the needed files. our.umbraco.org/upgrade or something with steps on how to move from each release to the next and/or what releases can be skipped during a site migration.

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 08:56
    Thomas Höhler

Hi William,

I have stored the v3 Releases on my hd. You can download it from http://blog.thoehler.com/downloads/UmbracoV3.zip

hth, Thomas

Aug 26, 2010 @ 13:40
    William Burnett

Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to post. It would be nice if we could find a way to host those as part of an archive here with some nice upgrade instructions for each release.

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 16:02
    Thomas Höhler

They all had been on codeplex. I don't know why the versions are deleted or hidden. Think this is a question for the umbraco core or umbraco hq. Try shoot a twitter dm to Niels (@umbraco) or Aaron (@slace)

Don't have twitter access anymore here in the company so I can do this only in a few hours

Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft