Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Manos Gatsios 21 posts 41 karma points
    Sep 06, 2010 @ 12:33
    Manos Gatsios

Installing from scratch... your thoughts please!

I know that similar topics have been posted from time to time but none of them gives me a satisfactory answer. So here it comes (maybe again so my apologies for this):

I have an Umbraco installation (just upgraded it to 4.5.2) with lots and lots of content, different kinds of document types, templates, xslt, css files, media etc., as well as 8 new admin sections with their associated aspx/ascx files and DLLs. The amount of user content including new development efforts is expected to grow rapidly in the future. To make things a little more complicated the whole thing is also multilingual, supporting for now 5 different languages.

What I would like to do is be able to simply tell somebody (i.e. a system administrator) how to install all of this (content + structure) into a new Umbraco installation from scratch given that I point him to some sort of an installable "Super Package".

I've looked into creating packages, attaching/detaching databases and even bought the Courier tool but none of the above offers a straight through solution to my challenge!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this matter, maybe point me to some resource that I haven't discovered yet.

Regards,

Manos

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 06, 2010 @ 12:50
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Manos,

I don't have a "definitely" answer... but a suggestion would be to create your own bespoke Umbraco install for Web PI?

This way a SysAdmin could deploy straight from Web PI.

Overview of how to set-up Web PI for custom Umbraco releases: http://umbraco.org/blog/2010/8/28/umbraco-web-platform-installer-feed-with-umbraco-452

More details on an IIS.NET blog: http://blogs.iis.net/kateroh/archive/2010/02/11/webpi-apis-install-a-product-from-a-custom-feed.aspx

Cheers, Lee.

• Manos Gatsios 21 posts 41 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 13:23
    Manos Gatsios

Indeed you are right there is no "definitely" answer on this matter because every installation is by definition different.

Creating our own WebPI installation we also need to figure out a way to supply updates to the SysAdmin via a uniform manner.

That would require some extra development resources to be allocated, which of course we never have ;-)

I will keep your suggestion in mind and thanks for your response anyway.

Regards,

Manos

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft