Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ansar 181 posts 291 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 07:05
    Ansar

Few questions regarding Umbraco!

Hi All,

We are checking few Asp.Net CMS for one of our Fortune 100 client. Major technical requirements includes support for both LTR and RTL languages, security, ease of use & extensibility and Umbraco pro seems a perfect choice. Can any experts please reply to the following queries

1. I read full trust hosting is required for Umraco. Is it just for the installation or should we need full trust for administration also?

2. Can we create any number of sites from one Umraco installation?

3. Our main purpose is, create a site using one template in one language and duplicate the same template and functionalities for other languages.. Could you please tell me how much work is involved in that? Is it like key-value changes and resource files replacement for the new site after duplicating the orginal site or should I strat from ground up again?

4. Is there any document or article available about the security features of Umbraco?

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Ansar

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 07:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

1. Umbraco 4.5.x now works in medium trust as well

2. Sure, but it's not recommended if your sites aren't very similar. You can make a multisite install, but you will end up with multiple masterpages, css files, javascript files, document types, macro's, xslt files etc. that need to be prefixed with a specific site's name. However, if you have very similar sites it's quite convenient to have them all in one umbraco install (for example, I've been building http://dordrechttoer.nl and http://delfttoer.nl and 30 other sites in that one Umbraco install that look and function in mostly the same way).

3. You could just copy the complete site structure from within Umbraco, not very hard to do, just add a domain name and new language to the new site and you're all set.

4. Try the wiki. If you have a specific question, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.

• Ansar 181 posts 291 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 08:38
    Ansar

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply...

Our sites will be very similar for all the markets with only changes based on the local culture.. so the solution you did for http://dordrechttoer.nl ; will be perfect for us.

Will check wiki for more details and post here if any help is needed

Thanks again for the help
    Ansar

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 08:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In that case, you should do fine.

A few tips:

I make a site structure like so:

- Site 1 (site specific settings can be stored on this document)
     - Home
     - About
     - Contact
     - Etc.
    - Site 2
     - Home
     - About
     - Contact
     - Etc.

On the document type of the highest level (site 1, site 2) I set the domain name, and add a property with the "magic" alias of umbracoRedirect and of the type content picker. This allows me to redirect everybody that enters the site to the home page or any other page necessary.

When using XSLT, make sure to not go higher up than level 1, where your site settings are, else you might get bleed-over from other sites.

Also, in config/umbracoSettings.config make sure to set useDomainPrefixes to true and in web.config set umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath to true.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft