Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sajid Riaz 142 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 14:20
    Sajid Riaz

Paypal with umbraco 4.5.2

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a webshop, where images and documents can be downloaded once paid for.

Seeing that I've never done ecommerce website before I thought the best way to get this done would be to use paypal.

so here's what I've done so far.  I create a shop document type.  under which sit shopitems doctypes.  shopitems doctype has properties like the preview of the image, description, price and I've added a property which should be the html link of the paypal button and called it paypallink.

So I will add the image to paypal first. Let paypal generate a buy now button and use the HTML it gives me and paste into the paypal link property.

I create an xslt macro to get all shopitems and run this in the shop doctype. 

The paypallink property does shows the html rather than rendering the html as a button.

But I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly.  Any advice ideas would be much appreciated.

>>Sajid

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 14:44
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Sajid,

do I understand your solution in that whenever I (the customer) add an item in my shopping basket you will actually create a new content node in Umbraco? So each user has his shopping basket node?

For the button: you need to add disable-output-escaping="yes" to the <xsl:value-of> statement, then it should render as html and not text. However I wouldn't save the whole button in the property if possible as you are mixing content with visual display. Can't you just store the href part and create the link like

<a href="{your link here}">Pay with Paypal</a>

Hope that helps,

Sascha

Sep 13, 2010 @ 15:17
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for your reply. 

I dont have a basket as such. The customer just click the buy now button and they go to paypal.  Once they have paid they get re-directed to the download page, to download the image or document.

I'm very new to paypal and ecommrce so any help or a better solution would help me alot.

the admin, creates a shopitem node for evry image/document they wish to sell. the xslt gets all the shopitems (images or documents) and display them in unordered list in the shop page. 

I hope i am that makes sense.  Please do correct any flaws in my approach to the shop.

>>thanks

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:42
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Sajid,

that now makes much more sense, thanks very much for your explanation. :)

Your approach sounds quite fine to me, although the functionality is quite basic it should do the trick just fine. Have you checked out the uCommerce package yet? Haven't tried it out myself yet but heard very good things about it.

Couple of things you might think of implementing in terms of better usability:

- Shopping basket; currently you would have to go to paypal every time you want to buy an image, that makes buying 10 images quite a task. However a shopping basket will be a major change to your current workflow, especially with regards to providing the download links once a user has paid (where you now have to provide 10 links instead of one).

- Keep track of people's purchases and provide them the option to download the images again at a later time. I don't think your customers will like it if they've closed the download link by mistake and have to pay again to see it.

- How about the ability to add discounts for 5, 10, 20 images or something like that?

Just a couple of thoughts, please ignore if not applicable.

Sascha

Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:56
    Sajid Riaz

Sascha,

Your ideas are excellent, thankyou very much.

I have read about the ucommerce package, but at the time of reading about it seemed complex and I wasn't sure if it would link to paypal or not.

ok let me look into ucommerce...and see I can get it it work.

thanks for all your help.

• Søren Spelling Lund 1797 posts 2786 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 19:36
    Søren Spelling Lund

@Sajid: Let me know if you need any help with uCommerce. I'd be happy to walk you through the features to get you started right. Let me know if I can help.

@Sascha: Thanks for the recommendation.

Sep 14, 2010 @ 12:58
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Soren, Thanks for your response.

Can you advise me if uCommerce will work for my shop model?

the content section of my shop is as follows:

shop

image1 (properties: preview image, description, price, linktopaypal (HTML))

image 2

image 3

The shop content node is of type doctype shop and just contains a list of shopitems.

the admin creates an image content node of type shopitem, and adds the properties as shown in image1

I or my website admin loginto paypal and add image they wish to sell and retrieve paypal button HTML, which is copied into the linktopaypal property in shopitem doctype 

a website visitor  clicks on paypal button pays for image and then gets redirected to download page where they can down load the image.

I haven't got this working yet, but each image will have a separate download page, with a link to download the image.

as this is the first time i'm constructing an eShop, the model must be filled with flaws, so any recommendations or how I can use uCommerce to get this shop up and raunning would be much appreciated...

thanks again

>>sajid

Sep 14, 2010 @ 13:36
    Søren Spelling Lund

Basically the way to do it with uCommerce is to create a catalog inside uCommece and build the catalog structure there. uCommerce maintains a basket for you so you don't have to go to Paypal whenever the customer adds something to the basket.

When the customer is ready to checkout all the totals are tallied and submitted to Paypal using API integration.

One caveat is that we don't have the Paypal integration piece ready, so basically you'd focus your energies on integrating Paypal instead of the nitty gritty of doing low level e-commerce tasks like building a catalog structure from scratch and maintaining basket information for customers. Basically this works out of the box with uCommerce.

The tasks that you'd need to complete with uCommerce are the following:

1) Style the uCommerce Store to match your look and feel (it's done using XSLT)

2) Integrate with Paypal by using the built-in PayPal payment provider. Setup uCommerce to Include PayPal as a Payment Method.

3) Provide customers with download links once payment is accepted at Paypal (this could be done via an automated e-mail to customer or by providing a link to the download as you specified)

Hope this helps.

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Sep 14, 2010 @ 17:28
    Daniel Horn

I would also recommend uCommerce if you have to do your webshop in Umbraco :-).

Only i would love a starter light version for the very simple sites (off topic, sorry)

Sep 14, 2010 @ 18:03
    Sajid Riaz

Guys, I've never dwelled into the code behind of umbraco....scary thought...uCommerce from I see requires me to do this.  I am right?

Is there a beginners guide hidden away any where ;-)

thanks

>>Sajid

Sep 20, 2010 @ 14:27
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Everyone.

as per my last question.  Is there any basic guide out there of how to get Ucommerce working and would I have to dwell into the code to get things working with Paypal?

thanks in advance... 

Sep 20, 2010 @ 15:19
    Søren Spelling Lund

From our work creating standard payment processing integration SagePay seems like a much simpler alternative if Paypal isn't an absolute requirement.

Sep 20, 2010 @ 15:44
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Soren, Thanks for replying.

Yes if that is better and easier to implement then it would be fantastic.  Is there a how to guide somehwere?

Sep 20, 2010 @ 15:48
    Søren Spelling Lund

You can sign up for the developer program which will give you access to documentation and testing instance of SagePay. You do still have the option to wait for our standard implementation which I expect ready for testing later this week.

• tony 15 posts 35 karma points
    Sep 26, 2010 @ 20:02
    tony

Hi all,

I have been looking at uCommerce - it looks fantastic, but to be honest beyond what I need.

We basically have a site where they can pay for membership of the organisation.  There is the usual: Single person join, 2 people or a family with 3 different prices.  And thats it.

The client want to let people pop there details on the site, which I now have, and pay by paypal.  We dont need a store front, its one form with name address and number of people to include in membership.  Is there a simpler solution out there?

Cheers

Tony

Sep 27, 2010 @ 09:58
    Søren Spelling Lund

There's an IPN package available. It might be what you're looking for. You're welcome to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss the options with uCommerce further.

Oct 18, 2010 @ 18:20
    Søren Spelling Lund

Just wanted to let you know that we released uCommerce 1.1 which has PayPal support built right in. As always you can download uCommerce 1.1 completely free of charge. Check out the PayPal documentation for uCommerce while you're at it. 

Oct 18, 2010 @ 18:24
    Sajid Riaz

Hey, Thanks for the Update Soren,  I will have a look at this.

thanks again.

Dec 06, 2010 @ 09:39
    Søren Spelling Lund

Just a quick note to let you know that uCommerce 1.2 includes SagePay and RBS WorldPay if you decided to go down that route instead of PayPal.

Dec 06, 2010 @ 09:57
    tony

Is there a single unified payment method or a diversity of .,..

Paypal,

SagePay

WorldPay

<<any more>>

Does anyone have the stats on what is the most popular for the consumer?

Dec 06, 2010 @ 10:48
    Søren Spelling Lund

It depends heavily on where your customers are located in the world. Usually they are local to a single country - of course if you're dealing with a global solution the answer becomes a little more complex.

The most popular payment method wary wildly based on the territory it's used in. In the UK I'd say SagePay is the most popular one by far at least that's what we're seeing.

For the other territories it's something else entirely.

Dec 06, 2010 @ 10:54
    tony

Many thanks

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft