Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott M. Fulton III 19 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 23:29
    Scott M. Fulton III

Adventures upgrading 4.0 to 4.5.2

Good day, everyone:

In preparing my site for the big push to Umbraco 4.5.2, knowing that I might need to know how to handle any roadblocks that come along, I decided to do a trial run on a kind of "crash test dummy" -- a virtual server that isn't mission-critical.  I've learned some things along the way, which I'll share with everyone, although I do have some questions at the end of this post:

First, I'm following Karl Kopp's much-appreciated instructions.  I should add a few items, though:  First of all, if you've been biding your time with 4.0 waiting for some of the early bugs to be worked out before you jump onboard 4.5.2, realize that there's a version in-between: 4.5.1.  If you simply follow Karl's Step 3, and copy the key directories from the 4.5.2 binary package on top of the existing 4.0 package, you will be missing some key files.  You'll know you're missing them when you try to fire up the Umbraco admin page and you're greeted with an ASP.NET error telling of a missing system.web.extensions section.  If you encounter that problem, then go back and copy the directories Karl lists from 4.5.1, then copy the 4.5.2 directories on top of those.  That problem should go away.

Next, I encountered an error where ASP.NET could not load type CanvasClientDependencyProvider.  The simple reason for that is that your IIS probably has its Application Pool defaults still set to .NET Framework 2.0.  To fix that, go into Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, then from the list in the left pane, choose the name of your server, then choose Application Pools.  In the Actions pane on the right, click on Set Application Pool Defaults.  You'll see a dialog box where the very first listing under (General), marked .NET Framework Version, is marked v2.0.  Set it to v4.0, then click on OK.

You might not be out of the woods yet, though.  Even though you see your Umbraco 4 login screen (you'll note it's the new one because of the capital "U"), you might not be able to log in using your old password.  That's because the new password scheme is now changed.  The solution comes from the Umbraco forum, but I had to tweak it a little bit:  I fired up SQL Server Management Studio, then had it execute this query:

UPDATE umbracoCMS.dbo.umbracoUser set userDisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='default' where id=0

The difference between this query and the suggested one is the qualifications in front of the table name -- the umbracoCMS.dbo.  Be careful about the upperCase letter in the middle of each column name.  After that, I had to go into the web.config file, and look for the line that starts <add name="UsersMembershipProvider"  At the end of that line is the attribute passwordFormat="Hashed" />, which (as suggested), I changed to read "Clear".  (After this is all fixed, I'll need to change my admin password and put the password format back to Hashed.)

Good, now I can log on.  But Umbraco does not take me to the installation page automatically.  Noticing that, I trigger it myself by directing the browser to http://localhost/install/default.aspx.  (Notice I'm still using the crash test dummy.)  That gives me a panel telling me I'm about to upgrade to 4.5.2.  Sounds like I'm in the home stretch, doesn't it?

Not exactly.  In a moment, I get a screen telling me that installation is done, with a link to launch Umbraco.  Wow, that was fast, I thought.  I logged in, but noticed that the site 1) was not using syntax highlighting yet; 2) was still executing the old XSLT schema, even though I'd set UseLegacyXmlSchema to False in the umbracoSettings.config file, as Karl suggested.  Something appears to have failed to install.

So I ran the Install page again.  This time, I received a panel I did not receive the first time, telling me about all the changes Umbraco made to the XSLT schema and syntax (doing away with the need for data [@alias=' '] and things like that.  Sounds like this second round was going to install something the first round missed.  And indeed, it took a few minutes this time, rather than skipping right to "finished."

But I'm still not seeing the big changes, including syntax highlighting.  Although the About screen clearly registers umbraco v 4.5.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.3891.20719), the XSLT and CSS editors are still using the old font, and the test Web site (from one of the creative starter kits) still runs on the old XSLT schema.

So I'm thinking I skipped a step somewhere.  Has anyone out there already keyed in as to what that step might be?  Hopefully this will be some help to all the folks trying to keep up with progress.

Yours,

Scott Fulton / Net1News

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Sep 14, 2010 @ 12:59
    Tim

Are you using IE to access the back end? Syntax highlighting doesn't work in IE.......

When you say the old site is still using the old schema, do you mean the umbraco xml file, or in the xslt files?

Sep 14, 2010 @ 21:55
    Scott M. Fulton III

Thank you, Tim.  No, I'm using Firefox 3.6.9.  "The site" on this particular dummy installation is based on BlogForUmbraco; the live site I'm running on GoGrid, and have not upgraded yet, is running Net1News.  I had expected the new 4.5.2 version to not run the old-style XSLT, especially with the UseLegacyXmlSchema setting at False.  I'm thinking I missed copying over a critical components somehow, but the CMS doesn't know it.

Scott

• cchehn 28 posts 69 karma points
    Sep 15, 2010 @ 17:42
    cchehn

Hi, I am thankfully not having as many problems as Scott but I am not seeing the syntax highlighting in the back end. I followed Karl Kopp's walk through as well. Any ideas? What are the config components for the editor?

May 18, 2011 @ 21:10
    Scott M. Fulton III

For anyone still having trouble in this department, I have this advice:  Check each individual folder thoroughly, especially the subfolders of wwwroot\umbraco, to make certain that all the files from the Umbraco ZIP package get copied.  On two occasions now, I've discovered that after what I thought was an xcopy took place, some subfolders still contained the older build's files.

Better yet:  Don't use Windows Explorer to copy your folders.  Instead use a tool you can trust (I fixed my problems using Total Commander).

SF3

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft