Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Sep 17, 2010 @ 00:45
    North Krimsly

Clean 4.5 install on shared hosting account - best way to do it?

Greetings all,

I'd like to do a clean install of 4.5 onto a shared hosting account (SoftSys).  I'm having trouble piecing together the right install docs for this, and the best way to get it done.  Here's what I think I need to do:

* Make sure my hosting account is set up to use .Net 4.0 Integrated Pipeline.

* Get the 4.5 binaries at http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/47241.

* Follow directions (more or less) at http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-4-on-reliablesitenet-(or-similar-hosts)

Since I'm using shared hosting, I don't think I'll be able to use the 4.5 WebDeploy or the new Web Platform Installer feed. Is that true? I'd really appreciate your suggestions on the easiest way to install 4.5 onto a shared hosting account.

Thanks,

-NorthK

• Kurniawan Kurniawan 202 posts 225 karma points
    Sep 18, 2010 @ 05:45
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

i think the easiest way is unzip the umbarco to your local and upload it using ftp to ur hosting server

Sep 18, 2010 @ 18:35
    North Krimsly

For those of you doing this for the first time as well, it looks like my install went well using the approach I outlined above.  The directions at our.umbraco.org noted above work pretty well. The only tricky part so far is that I needed a web.config wildcard mapping directive to support clean URL's (ie myurl.com/about rather than myurl.com/about.aspx), as well as a dedicated app pool. 

I think the directive will be different for different hosting companies, so you'll need to ask yours for the correct directive.  It will look something like <add name="ASPNET_WildCard" host specific stuff here....>

This is in addition to the <add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" /> directive).

Regards,

-NorthK 

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Sep 19, 2010 @ 01:40
    Paul Blair

Hi NorthK,

I don't hink you need any wildcard mappings with v4.5 - you can just use integrated pipelines to achieve the clean URL's.

You also don't need a dedicated app pool (although I assume this may be set up by default when adding a new website at SoftSys and is good practice).

In order to get the website at SoftSys to run in Full trust mode add the following above the code:

<location path="yoursiteURL.com" allowOverride="true">
        <system.web>
          <trust level="Full" originUrl="" />
        </system.web>
      </location>

<system.web>
      </system.web>
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 17:28
    North Krimsly

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. SoftSys told me that I needed a dedicated app pool as well as wildcard mappings-- The wildcard mapping was needed for 4.0.x (without the mapping clean URL's did not work even with the appropriate web.config directive). Perhaps this changed in 4.5-- if so that would save me some money since SoftSys charges extra for the dedicate app pool.

Thanks again,

-NorthK

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:54
    Paul Blair

Hi,

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times about softsys hosting but I don't think it is correct. I have several sites running on 4.0.x and now a couple on 4.5.x and all with clean URL's and no dedicated app pool. The trick I believe is to use the web.config for integrated pipelines so no wildcard mappings are required.

I have done a post on it here: http://blog.fairlieagile.co.nz/2009/5/24/setting-up-a-new-umbraco-project but this applies more to 4.0.x

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft