Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gianluca 56 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 23, 2010 @ 10:15
    Gianluca

ASP.NET Security Vulnerability leads to "an error occurred" exception.

Hello everybody,

I installed the patch by installing the available package. Umbraco did everything by itself and I was not requested to perform manually any operation. I can see there is the PoetPatcher folder in umbraco/plugins, and inside it I have CustomError.aspx, Guide.pdf and patch.ascx. 

However since I installed this, sometimes, when I click on "save & publish" I get a message which reports "an error occurred while processing your request". If I repeat the operation I second time, it works. 

Why is this happening? Can anyone help me to understand what it is wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Gianluca.

• Ferry Meidianto 36 posts 63 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 03:50
    Ferry Meidianto

Try recycling the Application Pool and clean your browser cache.

• Gianluca 56 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 12:43
    Gianluca

Thank you Ferry, but no, unfortunately that is not going to resolve anything.

I tried with different browsers that I had never used before to access the site. 

Also, a iisreset (which also cleans up the Application Pool) is one of the first things I did.

Any other idea?

Cheers,

Gianluca.

Sep 24, 2010 @ 18:26
    Ferry Meidianto

Hi Gianluca,

Actually the purpose for that patch is to hide the real error message and redirect to a single page whatever the error code thrown. So I guess there must be an error with and without that patch. So my suggestion is to uninstall the patch and try or test your Umbraco - the same way you did that thrown the issue.

Cheers,

Ferry

• Max Mumford 266 posts 293 karma points
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 10:11
    Max Mumford

I'm getting the same problem. Gianluca, have you tried the suggestions? any luck?

Max.

Sep 30, 2010 @ 10:19
    Ferry Meidianto

Hi Max,

You don't need to be bothered with it again now. Just remove the patch and update the server with the official fix.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/09/28/asp-net-security-update-now-available.aspx

Cheers,

Ferry

Sep 30, 2010 @ 11:40
    Max Mumford

Hi Ferry,

Thanks, my Boss actually just told me that I didn't need to install the patch because our ISP updated ASP.NET anyway haha :)

So if I just uninstall the package will the changes to my config files etc be undone? Or will I have to undo them manually?

Thanks,

Max.

Sep 30, 2010 @ 11:54
    Ferry Meidianto

You need to update the configs.

The uninstall just removed the files not rolling back the config changes.

config\404handlers.config

and web.config

those 2 only I think.

Cheers,

Sep 30, 2010 @ 16:02
    Max Mumford

For the sake of not hijacking this thread iv opened a new one with a follow up to your (Ferry) latest reply here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/13160-Broken-404-page-after-uninstalling-aspnet-security-patch

:)

Max.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft