Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 14:54
    Kyle Skrinak

Performance advantage: Windows 2008 server?

One of our sites is on a Windows 2003 server. I can upgrade that account to 2008 server without charge, but is there a performance advantage (or disadvantage) to doing so for an umbraco site? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks;
    Kyle

Oct 07, 2010 @ 15:33
    Kyle Skrinak

Is it poor etiquette to bump a question after a week? Please let me know if this question is too ambiguous.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 14:39
    Tim

Hiya,

We updated our hosting servers recently from 2003 to 2008, and other than getting the slightly newer version of IIS, we haven't noticed a massive change. The server performance is better, but that's more down to the server being considerably better specced rather than the server version! We haven't noticed any disadvantages to using 2008 on the Umbraco sites on the server so far.

Hope that helps!

:)

Oct 17, 2010 @ 18:30
    Kyle Skrinak

Hey all, I wanted to follow up on this question as it may benefit other's with the same question.

I'm finding a some advantages to the upgrade, at least in the context of this shared hosting package. The upgrade moved me from a 32-bit to a 64-bit platform, and the extended services of 2008, at first blush, are very appealing to this small shop. 

Regarding the matter of performance, however, based on a week's review of page-load performance, it's a draw. I'm wondering if there are server-side optimizations I could make. As the point of this upgrade was to prep the site for a conversion from classic ASP to umbraco, I'm done navel-gazing on this for now.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft