Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Big Eagle 3 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 07:58
    Big Eagle

Could some1 please explain the codeplex tree structure to a newbie...

Thanks in advance.

I have downloaded the 4.5.2 binaries from codeplex followed the instructions / videos etc. All fine. No worries.

Now I head over to the source code section hoping to find the 4.5.2. Ah ha there it is the 4.5 under release (atleast the first 2 digits match)

I download that, run it and screeeeech !!!! slam on the breaks. I see 4.somebeta II in the web.standard.config (<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" />)

Ooopss !!! wrong thing

head back to forum and see this 1ndeful post. hopes go high again...

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/11411-Which-codeplex-version,-part-2

so i go back to branches to get 4.1.0 ....

At first i was confused. Now i am totally lost :(

can some1 please help / explain to us (me and any other poor soul(s)) who will be joining after me,

How would one go about getting something very similar for e.g. the 4.5.2 binay tree structure (with the source code in this case) any links,pointers, anything will do.

Thanks once again.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 08:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The current 4.5.2 release was linked to this changeset (on the download page you can see the changeset). Initially, 4.5 was going to be called 4.1, but the team decided that there were so many new things in it that the release was renamed, not the branche though.

Hope this helps!

Oct 01, 2010 @ 05:36
    Big Eagle

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It worked for me.

I am documneting the steps below I followed to get a build folder like the one we get in the ready-made binaries. (some guru needs to bless it first :) )

Ok So moving on to part 2 of my adventure, I get the changeset (umbraco-76545\releases\umbraco 4.5)

I copied it to my local drive. Extracted it, then i took the contents of the entire umbraco 4.5 from the downloaded folder (releases) and copied it out to a temp folder let's say like this

Next i unleash nant on it (had to use the 0.91 Alpha 2) the 0.90 version complained about the .net 4.0 version or something. anyway...

After that (lights blinking, hdd spinning, all 4 cpu's firing on all 8 cylinders...) all looks fine and i ended up with the build folder as highlighted in the above image.

Now lets see.

Operation was successfull. !!! lets check and see if the paitent is alive :)

Thanks guys. It's getting exciting now.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 09:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Great! By the way, here's a blog post that explains another approach, might be useful if you are digging into the code.

Also, I don't know why you'd want to build from source, but before you make changes to Umbraco, do check out the API, I have not found a need to change the source yet. It would also prevent you from upgrading in the future.

Oct 01, 2010 @ 19:57
    Big Eagle

Thanks for the link. it was perfect.

Agree with you on the other points. It's more of "academic interest" and just in case of emergency. good to know kind of thing.

Cheers.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft