Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niclas Lindqvist 48 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 11:27
    Niclas Lindqvist

"Xml wasn't saved", umbracoContentXML not used?

Hi guys, hope someone out there can help us with this!

We've been setting up an Umbraco 4.5.2 install in a shared hosting environment, Binero.se web hosting. Everything has been running smooth, until recently we noticed no umbraco.config was created! This causes our publications to fall back to earlier texts, and being all inconcicstent. Anyway, to the point:

In our running configuration, in the web.config we have this standard line:

<add key="umbracoContentXML" value="~/App_Data/umbraco.config" />

However, when we publish we get the following error message:

Xml wasn't saved: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\1e6562ff\2ebf6fae\UmbracoData\umbraco.config' is denied.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename) at umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

We are running on shared hosting (Binero.se .NET 4)

Does anybody have an idea of why that obscure url is referred by Umbraco. Could it be some local temporary storage before saving to our app_data-folder? Can i config that away somehow?

All ideas are much welcome

Thanks

Niclas Lindqvist

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 11:52
    Morten Bock

Have you by any chance set this to true in your web.config:

<add key="umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp" value="false"/>

I think that would do exactly what you describe.

• Niclas Lindqvist 48 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 12:49
    Niclas Lindqvist

Hi, you're spot on! I did do that.. So I'm gonna change that back then :P

• Tom Regeer 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:58
    Tom Regeer

Hi,

I'm as system admin and totaly new to umbraco. I experience this same errormessage mentioned above

Xml wasn't saved: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\b9969c62\cd83bf51\UmbracoData\umbraco.config' is denied.     at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)     at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)     at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)     at umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

My problems is that i cannot change this config value to false, because i was explicitely told this value had to be set to true for a loadbalnced environment where all the webserver look in a central (DFS replication) document root.

Is there there a way to get this working with

<add key="umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp" value="true"/>

All help will be appriciated

Tom

Nov 30, 2010 @ 23:09
    Morten Bock

Well, it sort of explains it in the exception message.

You need to grant access so that the AppPool account can write the cache file to the local temp folder:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\b9969c62\cd83bf51\UmbracoData\umbraco.config

• Tom Regeer 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 17:46
    Tom Regeer

Morton,

This directory is atomaticly generated bij the DotNet framework, so i dont think it is smart to mess with the security in this directory

Also te user running umbraco already gets full control in this tree automaticly, so ACL rights do not seem to be the problem

Kind regards, Tom

Dec 01, 2010 @ 20:53
    Morten Bock

Well I cannot see how it can be something other than that. The exceptions is pretty specific. 

• Pickels 75 posts 108 karma points
    Dec 08, 2010 @ 16:31
    Pickels

Strange had the same problem on my VPS today. After some Google work I found that running the iis reg tool might help and it actually did.

• Hans van Veen 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 11:00
    Hans van Veen

In Umbraco 4.5.2 the key does not have the expected result! When using the key Umbraco will create an umbraco.config FOLDER in the ASP.NET temp root and it will try to write to this folder as if it were a file. Manually deleting the folder and creating an empty umbraco.config file will solve this. The delete folder/create file must be done for every running umbraco website.

I am now clear of access issues with the umbraco.config file and hopefully also a lot of publishing errors!

The big question though: which version of Umbraco will create an umbraco.config file in stead of a folder?

BR, Hans

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft