Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Claushingebjerg 936 posts 2571 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 15:53
    Claushingebjerg

4.5.1 to 4.5.2 upgrade guide

Does anybody have a VERY precise guide to upgrading from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2.

I have upgraded 2 sites now, and they both display the same oddyties. things like:
    - Missing images in the approved colour datatype
    - Weirdness in the UI Trees
    - A strange ~ folder in the website root
    - Strneg lookng scroll field in the ucomponénts Multipicker datatype

• Tom Hare 49 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 18:06
    Tom Hare

I've always used this guide paying particular attention to the list about half-way down.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation

What weirdness are you getting in the tree? You may be having conflicts and/or missing files from packages (ie. uComponents).

• Kim Løwert 130 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 09, 2010 @ 22:27
    Kim Løwert

Hi Guys

I'm experiencing some issues upgrading from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2. When I copy the 4.5.2 folders as described in the upgrade guide and run the application in VS2010 I get an upgrade guide for 4.5.1, which is extremely weird. And it seems the site is not updated as issues present in 4.5.1 which are solved in 4.5.2 are still present after the upgrade.

I have tried several times to upgrade, but same result every time. I have even tried to copy all the umbraco files from one site that I know has been upgraded successfully, but I still experience the same issues.

Does anybody know if it is an issue when upgrading a solution in VS2010 and are anybody else experiencing the same error?

This is the window I get in the v4.5.2 install guide:

Thanks a lot in advance

Oct 09, 2010 @ 22:31
    Kim Løwert

@Claus - I believe the issue you are experiencing may be the result of not having unblocked the zip-file after download. That seems to block some of the files in the umbraco folders when copying to your webroot. I have experienced a similar issue earlier, until I found out that in Windows 7 you must select unblock in the file properties of the downloaded .zip-file.

I hope it solves your issues. That did solve it for me :)

• Fernando 9 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 10, 2010 @ 01:03
    Fernando

Hi,

The official guide for upgrading is in http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation as Tom pointed out.

When I upgraded, I had the same issue that Kim has. What solved it for me is that after isolating all my changes over the basic 4.5.1 installation, I installed a fresh 4.5.2 and copied my files, instead of copying the 4.5.2 files on top of my 4.5.1 install. I found out that version 4.5.1 contains some files that are not present (and should not be present) in a 4.5.2 install of you will get issues that as supposed to be fixed.. So focus on isolating only your additions to the 4.5.1 install, and be careful of not including extra files (for example to the bin directory of the new install) that are not yours.

Hope it helps

Oct 10, 2010 @ 22:21
    Kim Løwert

HI Fernando

I have done the same as you - installed a fresh version of umbraco 4.5.2 and ported my changes. But it shouldn't work like that upgrading. However it did solve my upgrading issue... So thanks for your input :)

Kim

• Harv 18 posts 38 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:35
    Harv

Guys,

I'm having the exact same problem but when I try your solution (fresh version of umbraco 4.5.2 and ported my changes), I still get the following message:

"This wizard will guide you through the process of configuring umbraco 4.5.1 for a fresh install or upgrading from version 3.0."

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

H

Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:51
    Kim Løwert

Hi Guys,

It seems I may have isolated one error that causes this problem. In my case the problem seems to be solved this way:

I'm upgrading a site in VS2010 from 4.5.1 -> 4.5.2. In the solution I have multiple website projects where I develop custom datatypes. When compiling these external website projects are compiled into DLL's that are copied into the /bin folder of the umbraco site in the solution.

Now some of these website project have umbraco references to e.g. the umbraco.dll or businesslogic.dll, which I have copied into these separate projects and added as a reference. What I have found out is that the issue above seems to occur if I forget to update the umbraco DLL's in these projects too, when upgrading to umbraco 4.5.2. So I have experienced that updating these DLL's in other projects the upgrade/install seems to work upgrading to 4.5.2.

So the point is that if you use other components or projects that are referenced in you umbraco solution then remember to upgrade the umbraco DLL's in these projects too. Or maybe remove these while you upgrade and copy them in after the upgrade.

I hope this helps :)

Kim

• Harv 18 posts 38 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 17:25
    Harv

Kim,

You're a genius, that's what the problem was!

One of the other assemblies in the solution we referencing the old umbraco.dll and it was getting copied into the website project on compilation.

I've had so many problems with Umbraco that my will to investigate has been worn down and I give up too easily.

Thanks for your help :-)

H

Oct 21, 2010 @ 17:44
    Kim Løwert

@Harvey - You are welcome :)

To everybody else it seems we have isolated one issue that causes this type of upgrade error. I hope it solves your issues moving forward :)

Cheers Kim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft