Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Rawson 13 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 11:58
    Robert Rawson

Umbraco.config issue on existing site

I have a dedicated live server and a local development server that have the exact same OS etc

Windows Server 2003 with SQL server 2005, IIS 6. 

Our process is simple, create the site on the DevServer and upload to the live server and this has worked for us for several years without any problems.  Another process in place for editing live sites is to download them from the Live server (including the DB) and setting them up in the same manner as a live site.  Again this process has been in place for several years without any issues.  There are 30+ Umbraco sites running without any problems on each server.

I have hit the weirdest of problems and there is nothing on the net of people having the same problem as me.  I downloaded the latest version of a site from the live server and uploaded it to the Devserver.  All folder permissions are inherited from the parent so IIS has read/write access to the NTFS file structure.  The site initially goes live, and I can edit individual pages and publish them in the back end and the site updates fine.  As soon as i try to republish the whole site, it deletes the umbraco.config and won't write a new one.  The site that comes up with the no content splash page and no matter what elevated permissions i give to this site in IIS, it just wont work.

It is umbraco 4.0.3

Any help greatly appreciated because I am completely stumped.

• Kris Randle 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 15:52
    Kris Randle

What are you using to publish?  Team Foundation Server? Subversion? Visual Studio?

• Robert Rawson 13 posts 33 karma points
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 14:51
    Robert Rawson

FYI, this issue was cause by a dodgy unbraco node in the recycle bin.

emptying the bin sorted this issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft