Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garry Bain 149 posts 124 karma points
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 14:07
    Garry Bain

Upgrading from 4.0.2.1 to 4.5.1

Hi everyone,

I have looked through several upgrading Umbraco guides and my site is still falling at the first hurdle. I am receiving a generic "Runtime Error" message. However, I have set customErrors mode to "Off" but I still receive the generic error.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

Garry.

• Tom Hare 49 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 18:48
    Tom Hare

At what stage do you receive the error? Is it when pre-install, post-install...

Oct 14, 2010 @ 10:11
    Garry Bain

Hi Tom,

I have followed the instructions on http://www.karlkopp.com/blog/2010/7/27/upgrading-umbraco-40x-to-45x for upgrading. However, when I go to my website after following these steps, I simply receive a runtime error saying "you need to turn custom errors off" - however, this is already to set off in my web.config.

It also states on http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/about/roadmap/umbraco-45/upgrading-to-umbraco-45 that the wizard stops at the first step (which is my problem) if you haven't copied the umbracoConfigurationStatus in web.config - but I have already done this and set it to:

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="" /> and I have also tried it with its original value of:

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.0.2.1" /> - which is my pre upgrade version of Umbraco.

Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:06
    Tom Hare

Have you tried putting in the version number for umbracoConfigurationStatus instead of leaving it blank?

Oct 14, 2010 @ 11:25
    Garry Bain

Yes I still get the same error. Why would it not show me the exact error when I have customErrors turned "Off"?

Oct 14, 2010 @ 13:19
    Tom Hare

Have you tried restarting your IIS and clearing your browser cache? Possible caching issue if it's coming up with the same thing after you've changed it.

Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:18
    Garry Bain

Yes I have tried this, also tried creating some blank space at the bottom of the web.config so it recognises changes have been made. I am still receiving the same error though.

Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:14
    Garry Bain

Hi again, I ran through my entire upgrade again and now it seems I am getting somewhere. The current message I am receiving reads:

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\mysite\config\ClientDependency.config' is denied.

I have checked all my permissions and they are fine. Any other ideas?

Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:54
    Garry Bain

I amended the permissions on the file in question and was allowed to continue with the upgrade process. I am now receiving a front end error of:

Current node is null. This might be due to previewing an unpublished node. As the NodeFactory works with published data, macros using the node factory won't work in preview mode.
    Parameter name: Current node is 1065

But I am also unable to login the backend and the username and password field simply highlight red and shake - which I presume means incorrect username or password. I have tried changing the following line:

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Another Type" passwordFormat="Hashed" />

By changing passwordFormat="Hashed" to passwordFormat="Clear" but it still won't let me log in. Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers,

Garry.

Oct 15, 2010 @ 17:47
    Tom Hare

Just out of interest - did you unblock the zip file containing Umbraco once you downloaded?

Oct 15, 2010 @ 18:00
    Garry Bain

Yes I did I used winrar to do my unzipping - which I presume avoids that issue.

I have my upgrade working now, I simply needed needed to log into Umbraco by changing the 2 instances of passwordFormat="Clear" - I only thought there was one, then I used my normal username and password.

Another step I needed to take was to take data/umbraco.config and move it to the new App_Data folder. Without this, I had content on my home page not displaying correctly and acting quite buggy in general. This restored everythnig to normal working order.

Cheers,
    Garry.

Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:39
    Tom Hare

Glad you got it sorted.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft