Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• DanMann 44 posts 42 karma points
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:11
    DanMann

Set-up best options?

Hello All,

I have a question that I would like to get opinions on...

I am looking at setting up Umbraco to run a site that needs to be available at 3 independent locations. I call them independent as they are mobile and sometimes lose net connection via the satellite. This rule outs a central server that they all access. I have been thinking that each location will have a server which is a clone of the main server and the SQL database, but I am not sure how, or what is the best way to ensure that they are all in sync.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:14
    Nik Wahlberg

One option is to use load balancing. Check out the videos on umbraco.tv for detailed info on this. 

http://umbraco.tv/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/load-balancing/introduction-to-load-balancing-in-umbraco

What exactly is mobile? The server locations?

-- Nik

Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:22
    DanMann

Yes, the servers will be moving around.

I thought that load balancing needed the database to be fix in 1 location and the content stored on the separate locations?

Sorry I am a bit of a n00b at this.

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:28
    Nik Wahlberg

Yes, you're correct in that this requires you to have a central DB. Sorry, didn't get the requirement of multiple DBs at first glance. Sounds like a tricky situation to be sure. Perhaps this is a job for Courier? http://umbraco.org/products/umbraco-courier

Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:54
    DanMann

Courier is partly there, but again that relies on the connection between the main server and the clones being available. It is a start, but the update process needs to be automated, unless this is possible with courier?

I guess this is a difficult question to answer.

Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:14
    DanMann

Can I just check, does courier transfer everything? Database, media, and code?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft