Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Älveborn 31 posts 52 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:25
    Andreas Älveborn

Changing from .net 3.5 to .net 4

Hi,

Im running umbraco v. 4.5.2 and I'm going to move my site from a shared hosting enviroment to vps server. Because of this, I'm now able to run .net 4.0. Is there anything I should think of when changing the site from .net 3.5 to .net 4.0 ? Will .net 4.0 version need any database updates/changes or is there anything else I need to fix before deployment?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:30
    Rik Helsen

If there isn't a direct benefit/requirement for .net 4 - why upgrade ?

(maybe i'm missing something)

Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:34
    Andreas Älveborn

well, I feel more like It's nice to use the latest versions of everything, building-for-the-future kind of thinking. That's why I would like to know if there is some mayor changes that needs to be done, or if its a quick painless procedure. If there's ALOT to do, then ofc I will re think my decision.

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:06
    Rik Helsen

on a file level there aren't to many differences, this is what a beyondcompare turns up:

I'm not aware of changes to the database, but they might exist...

Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:12
    Andreas Älveborn

Nice compare there :) Im gonna try it locally, with a local copy of the database to see if there is any changes.

The only thing I can come up with that could mess this up is that the xslt extensions is compiled in .net 3.5, but I'll just build them in net 4 if there is a problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft