Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ferdy Hoefakker 214 posts 248 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 16:26
    Ferdy Hoefakker

urlrewriting

Hey all,

I am currently trying to rewrite a site so it turns the .aspx into .html as per our clients wishes. Now, I actually managed to do that, but, there is one problem. All the pages show up as blank. We are using umbraco 4.0.3 on a windows server 2003 machine.

I already tried altering some settings in the IIS config, but am quite sure I must have missed something. So, anyone can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Ferdy

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 16:39
    Rich Green

Hey,

I'm guessing that you need to ensure that .html files are processed by the .net ISAPI within IIS, basically this means when IIS gets a request for a .html file it will treat it like a .aspx file.

However, are you sure your client wouldn't be happier with an extensionless url? like:

http://www.myWebsite.com/my-news-article

This can be achieved by one simple setting in the web.config file and will get rid of .aspx completely 

<add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" />

Rich

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:02
    Ian Smedley

I agree with Rich, extensionless URLs are best, but either way you may have to setup handler mappings, check out this wiki post:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/setting-up-umbraco-for-friendly-urls

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:03
    Rik Helsen

there isn't any benefit of having the .html extension, just get rid of the .aspx extension as mentioned above and you'll have nice, clean and readable url's !

• Ferdy Hoefakker 214 posts 248 karma points
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:07
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Well, that certainly is a lot easier! I have forwarded it to our client to see if he agrees with this solution.

Thanks a lot :)

-Ferdy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft