Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Probocop 51 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:22
    Probocop

Error in default Umbraco 4.5.2 web.config when trying to install.

Hi, I'm currently trying to set up a fresh Umbraco 4.5.2 install on IIS7 and I am getting the following error.

Config Error

The configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration

Any idea why I could be getting this error?

Thanks

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:37
    Thomas Höhler

The system.web.extensions section is for .NET 4.0. Please check the .NET settings of your Application Pool. If you need to run .NET 3.51 you can choose another web.config from codeplex.

hth, Thomas

Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:56
    Probocop

Thanks for the reply.

I've just set the .NET Framework Version in the Application Pools bit of IIS7 to v4.0. But I still seem to be getting the same error.

Can you think of anything obvious I may be missing? I'm not overly familiar with IIS7.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 17:59
    Rich Green

You need to see which application pool your Umbraco IIS site is using and change this one to .Net 4.0

Thomas' solution is more than likely the correct one but sounds like you've not set it on the correct app pool.

Rich

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 19:41
    Kim Andersen

Hi Probocop.

I actually think that I had this issue when the v4.5 was first released. Back then I think I outcommented the following section from the web.config:

<system.web.extensions>
        <scripting>
          <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />
        </scripting>
      </system.web.extensions>

In the first place I just tried it to see what would happen. But if I remember correctly, it actually solved my problem, and the site that i tested it on worked just like it should. I don't think that the above lines are in the web.config just for fun, but you could try giving it a shoot, just to check if the site works then.

/Kim A

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 20:34
    Thomas Höhler

Did you set the app pool to integrated mode? .NET 4 it should run in inegrated mode not in classic mode

Please check the rights of the user in which the apppool runs (should be app pool identity where the computeraccount is "IIS AppPool\NAMEOFYOURAPPPOOL"). The user should have read rights on the site.

hth, Thomas

Oct 26, 2010 @ 16:40
    Probocop

The problem I was having was due to me not having the correct Application Pool set for the site. It was set to .NET 4, but the site was using the default application pool.

Thanks alot for the help everyone, all sorted now!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft