Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bilal Isa 60 posts 76 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 18:38
    Bilal Isa

Caching problem

I'm running version 4.5.1 on a website. I deleted my Dictionaries under Settings since I'm not using them. Then the website crashed and I'm getting a argument null exception that looks like this

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value
    Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  
    Stack Trace: 

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value]
       System.Web.Caching.CacheEntry..ctor(String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependency, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemovedHandler, DateTime utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, Boolean isPublic) +8843451
       System.Web.Caching.CacheInternal.DoInsert(Boolean isPublic, String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemoveCallback, Boolean replace) +93
       System.Web.Caching.Cache.Add(String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime absoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemoveCallback) +81
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +250
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.language.Language..ctor(Int32 id) +223
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.initDomain(Int32 id) +179
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +218
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +114
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains() +152
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomain(String DomainName) +44
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.Exists(String DomainName) +5
       umbraco.requestHandler.CreateXPathQuery(String url, Boolean checkDomain) +154
       umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument _umbracoContent, String url) +407
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +880
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +8701598
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +282

Any help is appreciated.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 19:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

How exactly did you delete you dictionary?

Does it still give this error when you do an IISReset? Does it give this error if you publish the node (right click and choose "Publish")?

Oct 26, 2010 @ 21:45
    Bilal Isa

Hello Sebastiaan

Thanks for the quick answer.

I right clicked on my dictionary items and selected delete and I did the same for languages.

I asked the system admin to do an iis reset and I'm waiting for his reply. I tried your suggestion but I still get the same error.

Do you have more suggestions?

Thanks on advance

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 08:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I believe that Umbraco requires at least one language to be present to be able to set the current culture, so try adding at least one language.

If you had previously set hostnames to a node in you site, they also are linked to languages.

When the problem is still there, could you describe exactly where you are getting the error, what do you click?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 09:34
    Rik Helsen

A lesson i learned some time ago... never delete an unused language...

your website will break if it's set somewhere as a page's language, or you have a dictionary item with content for it....

Oct 27, 2010 @ 09:50
    Bilal Isa

Hello Sebastiaan

I added 5 new languages but the problem is still present.

I think you're right about the hostname part. I was playing around with hostnames the other day and I set a host name on the website root.

I get the error when I open any page in the browser. The error from asp.net is the first thread above.

Oct 27, 2010 @ 09:51
    Bilal Isa

Hello Rik

How did you resolve the problem?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:17
    Rik Helsen

I had to go into the dabase and fix something... tried looking for the solution in the forum but only found this:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/3212-Changing-culture

Update!

I went into the table 'umbracolanguage', and added en-US back manually setting the primary key to 1 (which I guessed was the original value) and the site/content tree sprang back into life.

I also implemented Richard's suggestion above and it worked a charm.

Thanks Richard.

JC
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:28
    Bilal Isa

This solved my problem.Thank you Rik.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft