Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David McElroy 9 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:40
    David McElroy

404 Resources (CSS, JS)

HI Folks

Im having troubles getting umbraco installed on eukhost shared hosting.

When i launch the installer the JS and CSS files are missing. Ive tried both 4.5.2 for .net 3.5 and .net 4. If i turn debug to true the files server up (but i guess this is by design in .net and the way axd resources are used - no caching?). Obviously i dont want this for production.

Am i right in thinking that dependencyhandler.axd creates a minified version of the css and js files on the server for use, and that if it cant write these to the clientdependency folder i will experience the 404s?

eukhost uses dotnetpanel and IIS6 and i cant really do much with permissions other than allow NETWORK SERVICE read and write. From reading the forums, it would seem that the ASPNET account needs permission to the clientdependency folder? The host claims to have done this so maybe thats not it.

I can actually run through the installer and install the product, but i get the same issues in the Umbraco control panel (JS and CSS missing).

David

• Yannick Smits 321 posts 718 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:46
    Yannick Smits

Did you "unblock" the zip file before extracting it?

Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:47
    David McElroy

I used 7-ZIP so didnt think that was an issue

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:54
    Lee Kelleher

Hi David,

I haven't used Umbraco on shared-hosting before, but I have ran into the same 404 error for the ClientDependency handler.

I had to set the IIS_USR account (or maybe IIS_USRS group) to have read/write access for the \App_Data\ClientDependency folder.

You'll probably need to re-apply the permissions?

I'm saying this with a caveat that it might be a completely different issue with the shared-hosting? Apologies if this is a red-herring! ;-)

Good luck!

Cheers, Lee.

Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:00
    David McElroy

Im trying to get the host to confirm permissions on that folder (for ASPNET account) - but i believe IIS_USR and IIS_USRS group are specific to IIS7 > ?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:05
    Lee Kelleher

You mean people are still using IIS6? (Sorry, bad joke!)

But yes, whatever the IIS6 equivalent is for IIS_USR ... e.g. IUSR_[MachineName]

Oct 27, 2010 @ 13:16
    David McElroy

Ive been in a live chat with eukhost for support. The conclusion is the shared windows hosting doesnt support 4.5.2 which is a shame. It seems like such a small issue. They applied ASPNET read/write but it made no difference. They werent willing to do anymore on permissions on shared hosting

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft