Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Aming 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 15:00
    Aming

What are the steps for hosting a umbraco website?

I built a small website with blog4umbraco and would like to host it in softsys (shared hosting). What are the steps to get it running? 

• Happyfanaticsalsero 59 posts 81 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 15:59
    Happyfanaticsalsero

1. make a new database

2. make a new database user

3. create your domain and web site in websitepanel

3. download umbraco package from codeplex, unzip and copy all content from the "build" folder on the root of the website (using FTP or probably it works as well with the file manager through websitepanel)

4. surf to your site, you'll get a spash page to start configuring your installation

5. go through the normal stages for an installation (define database, test permissions etc, and choose wether to install some runway package).

6. backend = yourdomain.com/umbraco/umbraco.aspx to log in; website = surf to yourdomain.com

I gather your DNS for your domain has been set up and the nameservers are pointing towards your hosting at softsyshosting?

• Aming 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 16:36
    Aming

Thanks for your reply! I didn't do anything with Softsys yet. I have a little bit confusion, since I want to port the website (which I have already built) from my computer to the softsys. I don't understand why I need to download umbraco package from codeplex, instead of using the package I have already built.

• Happyfanaticsalsero 59 posts 81 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 20:18
    Happyfanaticsalsero

Ah, in such a case it's different... ;)

If you have an already existing umbraco you want ported to a hosting environment...

-> you need to restore your database in a database on the hosting

-> you need to copy your local files of the website on the root of the website of the hosting.

So yes, you can use the package you've built locally.

(If you ever consider moving a lot back and forth, you can use Umbraco Courier which is a tool for moving things between your stage & prod installations - it's part of Umbraco PRO.)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft