Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mudhut 25 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 04, 2009 @ 06:20
    mudhut

[Resolved] Vista Ultimate 64 install, An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the

I have given Network Services full control to this directory. I don't know what to do. Vista is killing me with the permissions for everything I do it seems. Can anyone help me with this. ](*,)

-o I get this error:

Step 2/5: Database configuration
    Database configuration

To complete this step, you must know some information regarding your database server ("connection string").
    Please contact your ISP if necessary. If you're installing on a local machine or server you might need information from your system administrator.

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\tci3p7m_.tmp' is denied. (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config)

Apr 04, 2009 @ 06:29
    mudhut

I don't know why this is showing on the last page. I guess I will never get help with this issue. It has been one problem after another. I wish this was as simple as a LAMP/WAMP system configuring Wordpress/Drupal/Silverstipe/joomla!

Please help. I am really trying to make the move to .NET

Apr 04, 2009 @ 07:07
    mudhut

Ok, I don't know if this is the correct way to do this but this is what I did. Under the IIS7 config manager I selected my server->Sites->Default Web Site. I had already given Network Services and Administrators full access under 'Edit Permissions'. Now I selected 'Basic Settings' link for my default web site (it is on the right side of the manager).

This showed my site name, Application pool(already set back to old Classic .NET AppPool), and Physical path pointing to wwwroot.
    There were two buttons 'Connect as' and 'Test Settings'. When running the test Authentication was successful with NETWORK SERVICES but PATH ACCESSIBLE was denied.

Please tell me if there is a better way to set this up.
    I changed the connect as to my own user name and password(in admin group). This time test succeeded and so did the remainder of my install.

Seems odd to have to use a local user instead of a system/NETWORK SERVICES user. I don't know if this is good practice and I would like to find a different way, but this works for me now. I hope this helped some unknowing fool like my self. I am just trying to get my feet wet here.

TIA for anyone with a better solution.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Apr 04, 2009 @ 12:05
    Douglas Robar

Double-check that NETWORK SERVICE has Modify (at least) permission to the web.config file. Then, when the umbraco installer runs it will be able to update the file for you. Otherwise, you will need to set the 'umbracoDbDSN' connection string in the web.config file manually using your favorite text editor.

cheers,
    doug.

Apr 05, 2009 @ 04:09
    mudhut

[quote=drobar]Double-check that NETWORK SERVICE has Modify (at least) permission to the web.config file. [/quote]

Yes, it had full control (including Modify). I even tried making NETWORK SERVICE the owner, but that didn't work either.

Setting a login and password to use under the IIS7 manager-> website-> Basic settings resolved the issue. Like I said, I don't know if this is the best practice but it works for now. Thanks for the help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft