Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 00:15
    Kyle Skrinak

MySQL vs MSSQL 5 vs MSSQL 2008

I have all of the three choices available to me at a shared host, which runs IIS 7.

While I've worked in MS SQL, I'm most comfortable in MySQL. However, I'm open to MS SQL if that's the best choice by way of compatibility with updates, modules and performance.

So, for a general brochure-ware type of CMS (lots of content, limited application-like functionality) which is the one I would do best to choose?

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 02:44
    Paul Blair

i have used both without any issues

• Qube 74 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 03:30
    Qube

From my experience, both MySQL and MSSQL 2008 should perform admirably for a standalone umbraco installation.

But! I have seen more than one extension that requires MSSQL. Also, if you want to tap the power of complex server side database objects, then 2008 is going to be hard to beat. TSQL and extended stored procedures (for example) are amazing tools and great performers.

If there is no cost difference to you, I'd side with SQL 2008.

What's MSSQL 5?

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 04:02
    Kyle Skrinak

Hah! MSSQL 5 is an figment of my imagination and is NOT a choice I have. Oops! Wish I could change this title.

One thing I appreciate about MySQL is phpmyadmin; a nice lightweight way to access my data. Does MS SQL have something similar without needing a desktop binary?

• Qube 74 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 11, 2010 @ 04:16
    Qube

There are no free or first-party thin clients for SQL Server that I know of. There are some third party ones at a premium, but it's pretty clear that's something MySQL has over the competition. If you don't have any other remote access to your hosting environment (like Remote Desktop), then that's pretty important!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft