Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 16:12
    Kyle Skrinak

Recommended MS Dev tools package?

All,

Great feedback here, most excellent; thanks for your help!

In the LAMP world, dev tools are, well, very inexpensive. ;) However, if I want the semblance of tool parity on the MS side, I must fork over some cash. I've been told there are plans that bundle a number of packages as well as mitigate package costs, like MS's TechNet plan.

Any recommendations for a new initiate?

TIA

Nov 13, 2010 @ 14:01
    Kyle Skrinak

So here I am migrating from Open Source web development. To be clear, I'm much closer to the UI/HTML/CSS end of dev and bad days are marked by the amount of time I spent on the logic end of things. Hence, I don't have a valid MS/OS license, which puts me in a financial problem; and, unlike, say, vim, I have to fork out dough for Visual Studio (or continue with Express) though I continue to much prefer vim over the editor in Express.

I continue to have my "Plan B" ready (ditch the whole .NET effort) — heck, I could be studying Ruby on Rails right now — MS doesn't make this easy:

• Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials $549
    • Microsoft TechNet Subscription Standard: $199

Thoughts and advice from the cognescenti?

Thanks!

ps: then there's this whole MVC matter, but, right now, I'm focusing on the best dev environment, given that I'll be focusing on an umbraco-centric web development framework.

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 13, 2010 @ 18:30
    Hendy Racher

Hi Kyle,

Have you seen Microsoft WebsiteSpark program ? It costs $100 upon exit after 3 years, and included are licences for Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL 2008 R2 (Web edition) for both dev and production use, as well as Visual Studio Professional 2010.

HTH,

Hendy

Nov 13, 2010 @ 18:41
    Kyle Skrinak

Hendy,

It helps immensely; that is cool and does mitigate many cost factors. That sounds like the "right" answer, too. Any other ideas?

Kyle

Nov 18, 2010 @ 16:52
    Kyle Skrinak

Hendy,

Whoops! Wrote too soon. Update forthcoming.

Kyle

Nov 19, 2010 @ 16:18
    Kyle Skrinak

Yep, I'm giving the WebSpark program a go. I'd prefer a lighter-weight desktop OS for development, but it's not like MS is open-source or anything.

Thanks! — Kyle

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft