Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Madeleine 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 20:05
    Madeleine

Umbraco for Mac OS X 10.4?

I have downloaded umbraco 4.5.2 to my Mac OS X 10.4, but it does not seem to contain an installer. I looked for system requirements for the download but could not find any. Does anyone know where I can find a version that works for my Mac? Or is that maybe not the problem? I'm totally new to this so pleas bear with me.

:)

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 20:08
    Rich Green

Hi Madeleine,

Umbraco will not run directly on a Mac.

However if you can get Umbraco installed onto a Windows server (with some hosting) you can build your website using any browser you like in OSX over the internet.

Hope this helps

Rich

• Madeleine 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 20:23
    Madeleine

Ok, thank you! :) That helps a little. Or al least as much as it can considering I know nothing about umbraco other than it's supposed to be what I need for my website.

• Claus Jensen 49 posts 157 karma points hq
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:50
    Claus Jensen

Hi Madeleine,

Just to help you a bit on your way - if you intend to try out Umbraco, you pretty much have three options as a Mac user.

1. Use boot camp and install some version of Windows. Enable Internet Information Services (IIS) and follow one of the installation guides here.
    2. Install virtual machine software such as Sun VirtualBox (free), VMware Fusion (paid) or Parallels (paid) .. and then same procedure as step 1 :)
    3. Find a cheap ASP.NET web host. Deploy Umbraco and have fun with it from your favorite Mac based browser :)

I'd suggest unless you're familiar with installing Windows and setting up IIS, that you choose option 3 - if you search the forums I'm pretty sure you can find some recommendations on hosts that will work with Umbraco out of the box, without too many issues.

Good luck!

-Claus

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft