Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 05:29
    Tizer

2 sites (domains) using one umbraco install?

I have an large, existing site all populated with content, what I would like to do is to create a new smaller site using a new domain, with a new design but with a different navigation structure - using the peices of the same content from the original umbraco install - no new content.

Is this possible?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 07:11
    Aaron Powell

Yes it's possible, depending on how your content is structured though it may be a bit tricky to "pull out" the content from the existing site.

Your best option is going with umbracoInternalRedirect (there's a wiki article somewhere on it but I can't find it!) but basically what happens is that you have a property called umbracoInternalRedirect on your page, set the value of that to the page who's content you want to load (best way is a Content Picker data type) and then when the page is requested the content from that page will be loaded in-place.

This allows you to use all the content from an existing page but in a new design.

Alternatively you'd have to write some macros which pull the data from elsewhere on the site then put it in-place.

Nov 29, 2010 @ 04:57
    Tizer

Thanks slace - I can't find any information regarding this either... is it umbracoInternalRedirectId and where would I find out more information on this?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 05:02
    Aaron Powell

Yes that's the one I was referring to, I wasn't 100% sure what it was when I gave you that answer ;)

Nov 30, 2010 @ 06:25
    Tizer

Where exactly do I find out more information about umbracoInternalRedirectId or about reusing content on a different domain - I can't seem to find anything solid for a 'umbraco dummy' (such as myself :)) to follow... is there anything in the videos? No - nothing in videos :(

• jc 64 posts 101 karma points
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 07:55
    jc

Like slace said, if your content tree is structured in a certain way, this may work for you:

http://skiltzonnet.blogspot.com/2008/04/mutiple-websites-umbraco.html

There is also a section on umbraco.tv about running multiple sites:

http://umbraco.tv/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/running-multiple-sites

Dec 01, 2010 @ 03:52
    Tizer

Great jc - thanks mate - I didn't think to search for what I actually wanted :)

Dec 03, 2010 @ 13:22
    Tizer

With the hostnames and multiple sites, will this work on shared hosting using DotNetPanel?

I've tried on my testing server and it doesn't seem to be working.

A few more questions:

1 - Do i have to create a hostname for the original site?

2 - I have a 2 possible links to the new page "Link to document" & "Alternative Links" - does this mean there are 2 public versions of the page and would I have to deal with the duplicate content issue?

Dec 10, 2010 @ 04:34
    Tizer

I got this working using DotNetPanel - you need to do this:

Go into Domains -> Add Domain -> Domain Alias -> make sure to checkbox the option to point it to the your main domain.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft