Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 16:09
    Jeroen Breuer

What does umbracoContentUseLocalXML does?

Hello,

Could someone explain to me what the umbracoContentUseLocalXML app setting does in the web.config?

Jeroen

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 16:45
    Stefan Kip

From the original umbraco 4.5.2 download web.config:

<!--
            Set this to true to enable storing the xml cache locally to the IIS server even if the app files are stored centrally on a SAN/NAS
            Alex Norcliffe 2010 02 for 4.1-->
        <add key="umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp" value="false"/>

Edit:
    Lol, sorry, that's another config key :P

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 16:46
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Where did you find that? I don't have this setting in either 4.0.x nor 4.5.x

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:15
    Jeroen Breuer

My mistake it was umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp :p.

I've also read that comment from Alex Norcliffe, but we currently run into this exception if it's set to true:

Xml wasn't saved: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\f5a63f25\baceda27\UmbracoData\umbraco.config' is denied.     at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)     at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)     at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)     at umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

Is this related?

Jeroen

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:18
    Stefan Kip

Yes it is. When set to true it will use the Temporary ASP.NET folder.

Why do you want to enable this?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Looks like you IIS_IUSRS group might not have enough permissions in the temp folder. Should have modify rights.

• Tom Regeer 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 18:07
    Tom Regeer

Hi,

I'n looking into the same problem as Jeroen Breuer and i have had a look at te security rights in the "Temporary ASP.NET
    Files" folders. (these have been automaticly set by the framework itself).

IIS_IUSRS have modify rights

and the windows users running the application pool even has full control in this folder

a strange thing is that

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\f5a63f25\baceda27\UmbracoData\umbraco.config'

is a folder ... where i should expect it to be a file. Could this have anything to do with our problem ?

Tom

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 03:36
    James Telfer

Related topic, showing the code relating to this setting: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/10537-No-write-permissions,-but-a-staging-server

@Tom, if 'umbraco.config' is a folder and not a file, that will be the issue. How this would have happened is a mystery to me.

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 03:52
    Barry Fogarty

I have also had occasional problems with Umbraco temp files in the Temporary ASP.NET folders.  For me deleting the temp files and doing an IIS Reset resolves it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft