• Patrick van Lohuizen 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 09:58
    Patrick van Lohuizen

Umbraco upgrade error - 4.0.3 to 4.5.2

hi,

we are performing an upgrade from 4.0.3 to 4.5.2

and when trying to run the upgrade i recieve the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Table 'umbracoNode' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Table 'umbracoNode' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Table 'umbracoNode' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +2030802
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +5009584
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning() +234
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2275
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async) +228
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) +326
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +137
    Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +56
    Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +83
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +116
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +148

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery]
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +230
    umbraco.DataLayer.Utility.Installer.DefaultInstallerUtility`1.ExecuteStatements(String statements) +509
    umbraco.DataLayer.Utility.Installer.DefaultInstallerUtility`1.Upgrade(String sql) +38
    umbraco.DataLayer.Utility.Installer.DefaultInstallerUtility`1.Install() +247
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.detect.upgrade_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +46
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +118
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +112
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

the user at this point has all the neccisairy permissions (the profile even has db_owner rights)

im kind of stuck on this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 10:04
    Rich Green

Hi Patrick,

I'm pretty sure you can fix this error by going to your database, opening the umbracoNode table and adding a primary key to the id field and turning on 'Identity Specification'.

However it seems like your upgrade didn't work completely so you may continue to get errors.

Rich

• Tony Lorentzen 85 posts 174 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 12:19
    Tony Lorentzen

I had the exact same problem and I found out the problem was that I had copied the database using the "Copy Database Wizard" in SQL Server Management Studio - using the SQL Management Object method (effectively to let the source database remain online). There appears to be a bug in that method leaving all the Identity Specifications set to "No", so whenever you're copying the database you should use the "detach" method even if that does leave your source database non-operational for the period of the update.

Best of luck.

Tony

• Heather Floyd 603 posts 1001 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 01, 2020 @ 21:13
    Heather Floyd

I came across the same issue while attempting an upgrade from 7.4.3 to 7.15.5.

This was a .bak db file provided to me by the client (to work on the upgrade locally), so I'm not sure if the reason for the missing ID column is as Tony suggests...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft