Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Siw Ørnhaug 130 posts 109 karma points
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 11:36
    Siw Ørnhaug

"The installer cannot connect to the database " when upgrading from 3.0.6 to 4.5.2

This is my first time upgrading to version 4.x.x. I've been away from Umbraco for a year and a half.

I've copied 4.5.2 files for asp.net 3.5 to a new site and supplied with customer files from the 3.0.6. Only change I've made to web.config is the connection string, and this I've verified by logging on to the original Sql server 2005/express database through Sql 2008 R2 Management studio. Still, when trying to pass step 2/5 I receive the message:

"Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

The database is a restored backup of the original database.

What should I think about this? It's quite frustrating.

Dec 07, 2010 @ 12:08
    Siw Ørnhaug

Ooops, I realkized that I'm running the site on one remote server trying to connect to the database on another remote server and I do not have the necessary access.

So I've copied the site to my own pc (Win7/IIS7) and now I recieve the "Database not found!" error instead. At the same time I'm accessing the database in question through SQL Server Management Studio on my PC without trouble. What now?

Dec 14, 2010 @ 11:48
    Siw Ørnhaug

I guess the real solution was to upgrade via version 4.0.3. Also I was not completely prepared for the effect of the new xml schema. Finally found the config setting for legacy format and then everything worked out as it should. But I'm not looking forward to all the xslt rewriting I guess I have to do some day...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft