Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Morlion 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 19:12
    Peter Morlion

Do I have to install all files to the server?

I'm new to Umbraco, but not to ASP.NET development. I managed to get Umbraco running locally, and I use the backoffice together with Visual Studio. VS2010 lets me edit xslt, asp, ... faster and easier.

But I see that my VS solution, and thus my Umbraco website, has a lot of folders and files. In the root alone I have:

• config
    • css
    • data
    • install
    • masterpages
    • media
    • python
    • scripts
    • umbraco
    • umbraco_client
    • usercontrols
    • xslt
    I realize some of these are necessay. But if I would want to deploy my site to a server, do all files need to be transfered? For example, umbraco_client contains 23 folders, and umbraco 32!
    Thank you in advance.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 22:17
    Amir Khan

Basically, yes, you'll need all the files on your live server that you have on your development environment, everything in your root folder, plus the database...you may need to update the database connection in web.config also.

• Peter Morlion 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 19:46
    Peter Morlion

Thanks for your reply!

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 21:34
    Kim Andersen

Hi Peter.

As Amir says you probably want to deploy all of the files and folders that you have listed above. The two folders that you talked about (/umbraco_client and /umbraco), is very important as well, because this is where most of the backoffice files are stored (icons, thumbnails, language files, tinyMCE, plugins, JS files etc. etc. etc.). So even though it's a lot of files, you shall probably deploy all of them.

Btw. remember to mark an answer (probably Amir's ;) ) as the solution, when you feel the issue has been solved :)

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft