Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christopher Melen 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 22:59
    Christopher Melen

Getting 'The installer cannot connect to the database.' when trying to configure database.

Hi,

New to Umbraco, after having experimented with both Joomla and Drupal for a bit. I am attempting to run Umbraco on localhost via Cassini, but when I get to the databse configuration step I get this error message:

'Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database.'

I've checked out the other posts relating to this error, but they haven't seemed very helpful.

I have both MySQL and MSSQLExpress installed, and both are running as Windows services. What I don't see is a VistaDB option, even though I have the vistadb folder under build/data.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both MySQL and MSSQL, and resetting users and passwords, but I always get this error.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Christopher

P.S: I am running Umbraco 4.5.1 for .NET 3.5, on XP.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 01:17
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Christopher,

here is a good deal of information about the installation process if you haven't come across it yet: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup.

Things you might want to check out:

- Is the MSSQL server configured correctly for Umbraco (tcp/ip and pipeline config)? I assume you have checked that you can log in with your custom sql user using management studio?

- Has the sql user the necessary permissions for the Umbraco db?

- Has the Application Pool user permission to write to the web.config file?

Hope that helps,

Sascha

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft