Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad 94 posts 151 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 23:50
    Brad

Live Umbraco install - Broken

I have a site running Umbraco 4 on a shared Plesk server. 

All was well until last week when the server experienced a harddrive failure that meant that all of the sites needed to be moved to a new harddrive. 

We managed to copy the site directory off the dying harddrive and get it setup on a new drive and after configuring IIS the site was once again live.

However there is big problem.

It seems like Umbraco has lost control of the site. Umbraco is still serving up pages, but when I login to umbraco, I cannot do anything. A couple of screen shots will explain this better.

And if I click on the Developer tab?

Right clicking on the Developer folder or the Content folder above does not produce a menu! Furthermore, none of the pages on the site are listed here.

So far I have confirmed all of the Full Access permissions on the required folders for the IUSR account.

Also I redployed the site from my dev machine.

I lost as to what to try next. Umbraco is there, the database is installed, (obviously as it lets me 'login'), Umbraco runs, sort of, but no longer controls the site.

Any ideas?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 23:52
    Rich Green

95% sure this is a permissions problem as this can occur when Umbraco doesn't have the correct permissions.

Rich

Dec 15, 2010 @ 00:00
    Brad

Rich

I have checked and double checked the permissions. But I'm willing to suppose that I could have it wrong.

The server is a Plesk server. I followed the instructions on this site. http://www.squidoo.com/umbraco

Where it said.

Some web hosting accounts use Plesk as their control panel (the one I am using is LunarPages)

umbraco requires ASP.Net to have modify (write) permission on several folders for correct
    operation. The directories you need to set these "modify" permissions on are:
    bin
    config
    css
    data
    media
    umbraco
    usercontrols
    xslt

When you first install umbraco, you need to log in to Plesk, click on your domain, click "Web Directories" and for each directory listed above you need to follow these steps:

1. Click the gold padlock to the right of the directory.

2. UNCHECK the box next to "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate..."
    3. CHECK the box next to "Replace permission entries on all child objects..."
    4. Click on the user named like this: "Plesk IIS User (IUSR_)"
    5. Under the column to the right - "Permissions for IUSR_", CHECK the box next to "Modify", then click OK.
    6. Most likely, you will now be looking at the contents of the directory, so to go back, click on the gold "Permissions" icon.
    7. Repeat steps 2-6 for all the other listed "Plesk" user(s).

I did this as per these instructions first up. However I have remote access to the server so I was able to confirm the permissions.

If I had a question about the instructions above it would be on point 7. Should the access be granted to ALL Plesk user accounts? Off the top of my head there is an FTP user and a few others in there. I only did the Plesk IUSR account.

Brad

Dec 15, 2010 @ 00:17
    Brad

Rich.

You were right. It is fixed.

I had granted Full Access to the Plesk IIS User account.

But NOT the Plesk IIS WP User account.

Umbraco is alive again and I can stop cursing at it.

Thanks for your reply and making me think about that which I 'thought' was right. :)

Brad

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 00:20
    Rich Green

Glad you got it sorted :)

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 02:55
    Pasang Tamang

Thanks for your discussion guys. This post helps me to solve my problems.

Pnima

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft