Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Divahar Ramalingam 2 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 22:12
    Divahar Ramalingam

Cannot get started with Umbraco

I am new to Umbraco and I have installed it using MS WPI 2. I configured Umbraco following this video tutorial  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArgI8iS9tM    

I have .Net v4 installed in my PC and Im using Win Xp Pro, IIS 5.1

When I try browsing to the default page I get the following error

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. 

I have checked the event logs and I get the following errors

1. aspnet_wp.exe  (PID: 2180) stopped unexpectedly.

2. Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT
          Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
          Message: Exception of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException' was thrown.
        StackTrace:    at       System.Web.Configuration.ErrorRuntimeConfig.ErrorConfigRecord.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigRecord.GetLkgSection(String configKey)
       at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfigLKG.GetSectionObject(String sectionName)
       at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetSection(String sectionName, Type type, ResultsIndex index)
       at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.get_HostingEnvironment()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.StartMonitoringForIdleTimeout()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
       at System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
       at System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

3.Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80131902                    

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 17:03
    Ismail Mayat

Check your permissions also not sure if iis5.1 is supported?

Regards

Isamil

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 17:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Divahar

Ismail is right IIS 5.1 is not supported. You can find more information about requirements here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-it-administrators/minimum-system-requirements

Is it possible for you to upgrade your IIS to 6 perhaps?

/Jan

• Divahar Ramalingam 2 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:22
    Divahar Ramalingam

Thanks a lot for your help Ismail and Jan.

I managed to fix this, actually it was because I had installed IIS after .net in my machine. So the ASPNET account did not have permissions to access my root folder.

So I had to run the aspnet_regiis -ga [ASPNET] command and it worked. IIS 5.1 seems ok so far, no issues yet.

Thanks again guys.

D

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Happy you got it working and great to learn that it can might run on IIS 5.1 :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft