Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave 48 posts 68 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:05
    Dave

Umbraco version and a test site

Hi

My second post having done nothing on Umbraco since the first one 4 months ago!

I have taken over a number of Umbraco websites (I have no significant Umbraco knowledge!!!) from someone who has left, and left little documentation. I have to create a test site for one of these and am at a loss as to know where to start. Questions :

1....how do I find out what version of Umbraco the sites are running?

2....i have copied the live site to a test server and pointed IIS at the folder containing the copied files, when I point a browser at the address I get 'Server application Unavailable ....' (hoping that it would simply work!!).

hopefully somebody can help with these (very) basic questions and I can get on with changing the site!!!

Thanks in advance

Dave

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

1: When you're logged in to the umbraco backend you can see the version by clicking the "About" button in the upper right corner

2: Have you copied only the files or do you have a dump of the database as well? You need to be aware that the network service probably needs full permissions (as long as it's not a live site your're testing I think this should be okay, but otherwise some of the brighter minds in here can probably tell you how to setup permissions most securely). But this part is hard to answer more specifically before you know, which versions you're running. If it's umbraco 4 the app pool should run ASP.NET 2 and should be set to either classic or integrated...can't remember it from the top of my head.

If it's running 4.5.2 on ASP.NET 4 the application pool should be set to ASP.NET 4 and integrated mode.

Just keep posting in here and we'll soon get you up and running :-)

/Jan

Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:25
    Dave

Hi Jan

Just back from my xmas break (for a rest....)

There is no About button and the consensus of opinion here is that its not 4, more probably 3 (but really nobody has a clue!).

I have now moved the live copy to an old demo Umbraco server that I found hoping that it would work!

IIS path : Servername/Web Sites/xxDemo/(all the files from the live site here) (with xxDemo being a virtual directory)

and get a different error which is 'The virtual path '/default.aspx' maps to another application, which is not allowed.'

Hopefully somebody can help

Best regards

Dave

Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Welcome back :-)

Is it possible for you to post a screendump of the content section in your umbraco installation? Then we can quickly determine the version I think and then it will be much more easy to give you advise.

I'm not quite sure about the virtual directory thing...I'm not sure you can use virtual directories with Umbraco.

/Jan

Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:44
    Dave

Hi Jan

You're on the ball this morning........!

Here is an image of the content section of the live site - does it help?

Dave

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:58
    Dirk De Grave

You're using a pre v4 version of umbraco which does not support virtual directories, your website must be running at the root of the website (configured through iis).

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:00
    Dirk De Grave

Another way to find the umbraco version is to have a look at the web.config file which has a umbracoConfigurationStatus key in the appSettings section, the value for that key is the exact umbraco version you're running. About button will only reveal the major version.

Cheers,

/Dirk 

Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:06
    Jan Skovgaard

It's definately not a version 4 installation. But since the "about" is missing it's hard to tell if it's v3 or in fact an even earlier version. I'm thinking it could possibly also be a version 2.1.x

I must admit that it's not much I can remember about the previous versions and what you need to be aware of when doing copies of sites on test-servers etc.

Have you considered doing an upgrade or do you need to get he old Umbraco versions to know and then administer them as is?

/Jan

Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:22
    Dave

Hi Dirk/Jan

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure I'd like to attempt a pre-4 to 4 upgrade at the same time as modifying the site!

Maybe when I get the site changes installed and up successfully, we'll think about upgrading.

There is no umbracoConfigurationStatuskey in the web.config so it is probably an old version.

I have requested an IP address on the server from our admins and I'll set it up in the root, hopefully that should work.

Regards

Dave

Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:18
    Dave

Thanks guys - its up and running :>)

For the record, what are the pitfalls and problems associated with upgrading to the latest Umbraco version, is there a good 'how to' anywhere that you would recommend.

Dave

Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Good to hear you're moving forward and can now play around with the site :-)

If you're going to upgrade the site at some point I think this blog post has some good hints in it. It's about how you go from pre v4 to a v4.0: http://umbraco.org/follow-us/blog-archive/2009/1/27/can-you-upgrade-your-site-to-umbraco-4

From 4.0 to 4.5.2 you should follow: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation

I asked on twitter for older Umbraco versions, since they're no longere available on the official codeplex site for Umbraco. And it turns out that some of the nice people here on our (Lee Kelleher and Peter Dijksterhuis.) Have Codeplex site with older versions, which will probably come in handy for you at some time: http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft