Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Salmon 22 posts 43 karma points
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 14:48
    Matt Salmon

How to tell which version of Umbraco an installation uses

Hi all,

As per the title really, is there a way to tell which version of Umbraco a particular site was set up using? I don't mean as a front-end user; I mean from a site builder's perspective, if it's been a while since you set up a particular project and can't remember whether it was a 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.2 installation.

Many CMS's have an icon you can click somewhere in the back-office that tells you which version you're running, so that you can see whether you need to apply any security patches, or are falling behind on upgrades etc. I can't see something like that in the Admin interface, but was wondering if the version number is stored in one of the installed config files that I could check? Or is there some other way of telling?

Thanks,

Matt

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:03
    Tom Fulton

There should be an About button on the top right of the admin UI that will tell you the version.

Also you can check in the web.config for the umbracoConfigurationStatus key under appSettings:

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.5.2" />
  • Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:27
    Jamie Howarth

Matt,

+1 to Tom's suggestion.

You can also test this programatically using the umbraco.GlobalSettings.ConfigurationStatus (which simply retrieves the appSettings property), or using VersionMajor, VersionMinor or VersionPatch in umbraco.GlobalSettings.

Best,

Benjamin

• Matt Salmon 22 posts 43 karma points
    Jan 04, 2011 @ 16:57
    Matt Salmon

All really helpful answers, thanks guys. I can't believe I hadn't spotted it in the 'About' dialog box, but the other options are really useful to know also.

Cheers

Matt

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 05, 2014 @ 17:06

For anyone finding this post who is using Umbraco 7+ (although if you're looking for this information, maybe you don't know you're using 7+ :) ), you can find the exact version number at the bottom of the new help menu, available from the question mark graphic at the bottom-left of the back-end. It's not very easy to read (quite a light-grey colour), but it's there.

• Nitin Anand 46 posts 178 karma points
    Jul 06, 2022 @ 09:27
    Nitin Anand

After logging to Umbraco. Find icon ? in the top menu. Click on ? icon to see version number

After logging to Umbraco. Find icon ? in the top menu. Click on ? icon to see version number

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft