Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 11:44
    John C Scott

Value cannot be null error moving from one server to another

We have moved a working site from one server to another to create a test version.

The live site works perfectly, but nothing at all appears for viewing pages on the copy and when viewing a content page we get an error:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
    Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

The site is 4.0.3 on win2k3 with a SQL 2k5 database.

All permissions etc have been set.

Is it possible that the two servers have different regional settings and it is trying to use a language that is not present. I'm searching for information about setting up the language files and so far I have found nothing. I'm basing the idea that this is a problem caused by language files on other forum posts that suggest this is the cause of this error. The whole site is in English.

The umbracoLanguages table contains

id     languageISOCode languageCultureName
    1      en-US           en-US

The umbracoDomains table has one entry

id          domainDefaultLanguage domainRootStructureID domainName
    3           1                     1138                  

The cmsLanguageText table contains no rows.

These are all the same on the working server and the copy that doesn't work.

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:36
    John C Scott

found the problem

actually it was a bad database export - someone else did it I'm not sure what they did wrong - but when I exported the database again it worked fine

got there by elimination

would still really appreciate a pointer towards how to manage and create language files though

when i follow the link to the language tool i get directed back to the documentation home

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft