Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shaun Smith 35 posts 61 karma points
    Jan 06, 2011 @ 20:06
    Shaun Smith

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually.

Gosh, I just got past my first problem and now I'm onto the next problem.... I only got to click the Next button twice!

So I get all my files on my shared hosting environment (Godaddy.com). I start the install process by going to:
    MyWebAddress.com/install 

Then I get to the DB configuration, it said: "could not save web.config". So I go into the file and manually set my connection string. here:

I come back - Same error...   But I don't need it to write to my config anymore, the DB stuff is there?

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. An error occurred loading a configuration file: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed. (machine.config)

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 06, 2011 @ 21:19
    Kim Andersen

Hi Shaun.

It sound to me like you don't have the correct permission settings. Umbraco need to have the permissions to edit your files in the fily system. So can you check that there's enough rigths to the file system? (Usually it's NETWORK SERVICE that needs to have the correct permissions, but it can be another one in some cases)

/Kim A

Jan 06, 2011 @ 21:32
    Shaun Smith

Hi Kim, Thanks for the reply.

I've set all folder/file permissions to read/write.  As far as I am aware this should allow me to write to all files within my website and fix this error I have. (I think?)

I also know that sometimes these permissions won't be applied to the root folder (some hosts are like that?).

But, I've just got off the phone to Godaddy, an hour long chat and their advance team say that this is not the case...

from what they can see, apparently the file is being written, but the error still occurs.

I checked my Web.config and theres no changes to it.

Any ideas?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2011 @ 21:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Shaun

Do you have the possibility to add "modify" right on the folder? If nothing is written to the web.config obviously there is a permission issue...but go daddy denied that?

/Jan

Jan 06, 2011 @ 21:53
    Shaun Smith

This is my interface, All folders from the root inherit the R/W setting. Looks like Godaddy have edited the App_Data folder - but thats not an issue right now.

Yes Jan, I though that myself - nothing in the config had changed - but I figure they could have set up their server so that it writes to a temp directory? and the advanced team picked up on that? -I don't know.

Godaddy haven't officially denied it (yet?). But the team will get back to me when they have investigated further.

I'm just a small time developer myself, so I'm trying to give as much info as possible so other people more knowledged than me may point fingers so I can explore this issue more.

Jan 07, 2011 @ 10:40
    Shaun Smith

Ok, I got a response from godaddy.....

Firstly, I would like to point out some lines I changed in my web.config:

<section name="clientDependency" type="ClientDependency.Core.Config.ClientDependencySection, ClientDependency.Core"  requirePermission="false"/>
        <section name="Examine" type="Examine.Config.ExamineSettings, Examine"  requirePermission="false"/>
        <section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine"  requirePermission="false"/>
        <add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="true" />

Now their response....

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Hosting Support regarding your shaunus.com hosting account.

I understand that you are having problems installing Umbraco on your hosting account. I have researched this application and found that it is designed for a full trust environment and your shared hosting account is medium trust.  You may want to review their site, http://our.umbraco.org, and you favorite search engine for further information on the subject.

If you need a full trust environment you may want to consider a Virtual Dedicated Server or Dedicated Server.

Please contact us if you have any further issues.

I think this guy here has come to the wrong conclusion, Umbraco should be running in medium trust mode.

I already had the problem where I couldn't get Umbraco to run in medium trust - I thought those lines in the web.config above would have solved that.

I still get the FileOIPermission error above. Is this permissions related or trust related?

Jan 07, 2011 @ 12:20
    Shaun Smith

I also have more info to add but this stupid forum won't let me post...

Jan 07, 2011 @ 12:24
    Shaun Smith

So I'm looking for anything now to help me past this step...

I found a post that suggest when I get to step 2/5: http://shaunus.com/install/default.aspx?installStep=detect

To change the query to: http://shaunus.com/install/default.aspx?installStep=validatePermissions

This brings me to this page:

When I click next I get a Server Error:

Invalid object name 'umbracoUser'

This is so much...

I only want a blog, I'm so close to dumping Umbraco and Godaddy and just getting a Wordpress account instead.

And why does it take several attempts to get my post to submit in this forum?!

Jan 08, 2011 @ 00:38
    Kim Andersen

Shaun, a whole other thing. You might want to change your first post, as you have posted the code from your installtaion page, and we can all see your db server/DB name/user/password - Just so you know :)

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Invalid object name "umbracoUser"-error (I'm sure someone other knows how to fix this), but just wanted to mention the risk that you might expose yourself for, when revealing all of those informations about your database server.

/Kim A

Jan 08, 2011 @ 02:03
    Shaun Smith

Haha, my bad.

Don't worry it's only my test password, and I've dumped Godaddy now.

The guy tried to misinform me:

"I understand that you are having problems installing Umbraco on your hosting

account. I have researched this application and found that it is designed for a

full trust environment and your shared hosting account is medium trust.

You may want to review their site, http://our.umbraco.org,

and you favorite search engine for further information on the subjec"

I cancelled my account, got hosting somewhere else.

Jan 08, 2011 @ 17:58
    Kim Andersen

Yeah doesn't sound like GoDaddy was very helpful. And I can see at your domain, that you have gotten Umbraco installed now, right? So evrything is good now or you still having some issues?

By the way, you should be able to run Umbraco in a medium trust environment, but it doesn't sound like it's something that you need now anyway :)

/Kim A

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2011 @ 18:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Shaun

That's a bit shocking to hear that was what go daddy told you. Especially since Umbraco can in fact run in medium trust mode and more umbracians is using GoDaddy as a host. However it has not been without trouble - but people have indeed succeeded. Sounds like very poor service from GoDaddy to me.

I hope that you still want to stick with Umbraco anyway :-)

/Jan

Jan 08, 2011 @ 22:46
    Shaun Smith

Thanks guys,

On this particualar occasion I think GoDaddy were hitting negatives on a helpfulness scale...

To be fair, up until this point I had always been more than happy with the service from GoDaddy. I also read that one of the Umbraco devs/core members (I think Benjamin) has a fully functioning, medium trust setup on GoDaddy shared hosting, so its obviously possible.

I was trying to setup the website in medium trust, I'm pretty sure it was running as that too - I don't know. I think I was just getting a bit rattled and then he tells me something I know to be false and -- as far as I know -- has no relation to my current problem (trust issues throw a server error - I was being told about permission issues at application level).

It sent me over the edge, beware the wrath of the english programmer! I shall politely cancel my account and sarcastically rebut any attempts to change my mind!

As you mentioned it Kim, I have this issue where the backend is sort of empty and none of the buttons fire off. I'm not too fussed (this is my first install - the aim being to learn about it by destroying it). But this has happened across 2 installs now. (haven't had much time to play yet).

No, I don't need to worry about running in medium trust anymore either, nice guess :)

Jan, I will be sticking with Umbraco.

I was developing my own custom CMS and blog for personal use when I realised that I would have to bug fix/maintain/update the whole thing, all on my own, forever... Thats what brought me here, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and all that jazz.

From what I've been reading around, GoDaddy's service has been getting worse as time passes. And my new host provides me with full trust for just a few pennies extra a month!

Thanks again,

Shaun.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft