Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 14:25
    Ernst Utvik

Multiple umbraco installations on one host?

Im trying to install another Umbraco instance in a subfolder (www/subdomener/client/) wich is created automatically when I create a subdomain (client.mydomain.com) from my hosts control panel.

This second instance will naturally run on a dedicated db.

After copying the files I get this error when trying to access the installation page:

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Does this mean that I can't install umbraco on a subfolder? It is preferrable to keep the client pages on a seperate installation.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:47
    Ismail Mayat

I know that Umbraco wont work in virtual folder not sure if latest version works in virtual folder but i think sub folder will definately not work.

Regards

Ismail

• Mark Mitchell 35 posts 60 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 22:36
    Mark Mitchell

I am just getting started with Umbraco myself, but that sounds like the folder that Umbraco is installed in is not configured as an application in IIS.

It does not look like you are actually trying to use Umbraco in a subfolder of the domain (which is not supported as Ismail mentions) but rather as a subdomian which I think is supposed to be supported.

See if your web host admin panel has any for you to tell IIS to make the new folder an application in IIS.

This is a common error that you see with ASP.Net when IIS is not setup properly for the new appplication.

• Roger Swearingen 28 posts 49 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 23:52
    Roger Swearingen

Ernst,

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, you have an Umbraco instance currently ( i.e. somedomain.com) and you want to add a 2nd instance with a different Aname (i.e. newsite.somedomain.com).  Is this correct?

If so, all you need to do is create a new folder (typically in the same directory as your existing site, not under it)  So your physical folder structure on your server would be:

- ContaingFolder

- ExistingUmbracoInstance

- NewUmbracoInstance

Note that you do not want to install it inside the existing instance directory.

Then in IIS, you create a new site, pointed to the folder for your new instance and install Umbraco there.  Once that is setup, you need to set your bindings in IIS for each site.

This is assuming you have full access to IIS on your server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft