Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• halo224 13 posts 33 karma points
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 09:41
    halo224

Multilanguage sites (not 1:1) and Document Type 1:1

Hi,
    after hours spent to find a solution, it's time to ask you for the better one.

Scenario:

- multilanguage sites
    - hostnames added correctly and all work fine
    - under each root (/de/en) I have  a NEWS menu that should contains the news list (all documents with document-type: "news")
    - another primary root (same level as languages) named "common/news" where store all documents with "news" as document-type.
    - the document-type "news" has one tab for each language and 1 tab for common details (shared between languages, as image or date for example).

de
    - news

en
    - news

common
    - news
    -- news 1 (document-type "news")
    -- news 2

Problem:

What is the best way to have all the news (/common/news/...)  under every language news page?
    A content picker in /LAN/news is one way but the link to the news detail will point under the /common/news root... to resolve I found another approach: i could create a page under /LAN/news (one for each news that I want to show) and link to its detail with a content picker but i don't want to create a news X times: 1 for each language and 1 for the common root.

How can I do? There is a "standard" solution?

Really thanks

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 09:52
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hmnn... Interesting topic. One solution I can think of atm is to, for instance, adding the id of the news-node to a querystring. Then you'll have one basic news-item page at each language. The content is generated from a xslt, which gets the appropriate node from the querystring and the fields from the current culture.

But if it's only two languages, I would go with a non 1:1 solution. Better SEO and more flexible. :)

• halo224 13 posts 33 karma points
    Jan 20, 2011 @ 10:20
    halo224

Thank you Berntsen.
    This is a possible solution, but i would understand how peugeot.com does for its news (and 2 languages).
    For me it is a mistery... How is it possible mantain a nice url and the correct path, apparently, with common details (I think) to share between languages (photo and date as you can see) ? Especially not to insert the same things several times.

It is not only 2 languages ;), not ever, but I would like to find a general method. If it exists.

Just know which is the most logical or used, can I change my method, because at present i'm lost...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft