Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Holmes 16 posts 36 karma points
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 14:00
    Rob Holmes

Upgrading from 4.0.x to 4.6

Hi All,

Currently we have several websites running under Umbraco 4.0.1. Is it possible to upgrade umbraco 4.0 directly to 4.6, or do we need to go via 4.5? 

Has anyone tried this before? If so, what issues should we look out for, above the problems I've seen regarding the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5?

Thanks all in advance,

Rob

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 18:37
    Chris Dunn

Rob,

You should be able to upgrade to 4.6 from 4.0 without problems but you should always test the upgrade in a test environment first and never on production.  

Couple of things to watch for:

• 4.6 uses .net 4.0 which must be installed, and you may need to update your web.config file and iis configuration
    • 4.5 and later by default uses the new xml schema, so you will need to set to use legacy schema in umbracosettings.config file or  convert your xslt files.
    • Don't assume all packages will work, you must test
    -Chris

• Rob Holmes 16 posts 36 karma points
    Jan 24, 2011 @ 09:49
    Rob Holmes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am already aware of some of the issues such as the XML schema and .net 4.0, I was just wondering if it was actually viable to upgrade straight to 4.6. I didn't really want to spend the time running the test for it not to work and just kill our test environment. 

However, thanks for the reply, now I know it should be possible to go straight to 4.6, I'll try this out.

Many thanks :-)

Rob

• Kims 25 posts 34 karma points
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 01:41
    Kims

Hi Rob,

Have you tried this yet? I'm looking at doing the same...

Kim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft