Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 17:05
    Peter Nielsen

Import from DotNetNuke CMS?!

Hello,

I would like to hear if anybody had some experience with importing a whole website from DNN to Umbraco?

I have a client who maybe want to change CMS, and I would really like to make him choose Umbraco, but is a 200+ page site, so it could be nice if there was a way to do this automaticly :-)

Thanks

Peter

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 17:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

I can't say thay I have experience doing this. However I will urge you to checkout the CMSImport package done by Richard Soeteman. This allows you to import from CSV, XML or SQL databases.

And I'm pretty sure this blogpost on migrating from immediacy to Umbraco written by Ismail Mayat is good read for you: http://thecogworks.co.uk/blog/2010/11/5/migrating-to-umbraco-via-cms-import

If you have access to the database I think you can get very far by reading the blogpost. In version 2.0 of CMSImport it will also be possible to make structured imports, which looks pretty nice.

Hope you can use this info.

/Jan

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 18:57
    Chris Dunn

You might want to contact @Tarek about his experience with moving from dotnetnuke.  His earlier post. http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/8896-My-first-project-Convert-a-DNN-application-to-Umbraco.

If your using any modules in your current dotnetnuke site, you'll need to find comparable packages in umbraco or write your own.  Those can't be imported, although you may be able to adapt them.

-Chris

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 22, 2011 @ 17:04
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Since data is stored in a sql database for DNN you could use CMSImport to convert the data to Umbraco. I'm curious which DNN modules you use in the old site. Maybe I can add import support for certain DNN modules out of the box in a future release of CMSImport.

Cheers,

Richard 

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 00:07
    Peter Nielsen

Hi Richard,

To be honest, i dont know very much about DNN, and I dont know much about how much access i can get to the DNN database. This is just a thought i would like to take to my client and try convincing him to change CMS :-)

But thank you all for all the answers... I dont know if this is a too much of a job, when my client just wanted to change the theme on the website :-)

Cheers,

Peter

• jigar 170 posts 233 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 13:59
    jigar

Hi Peter,

See i tried CMSImport but there is not great support in one DNN to Umbraco project.

You can start with Starter Kit rather and come up with pure umbraco architecture desing; and then create content using the old sit help.

Thanks,

[email protected]

Jan 31, 2011 @ 14:10
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jigar,

How can CMSImport help to make a migration from DNN to Umbraco be more smooth? Since modules using specific Datatables it would be a nightmare to support all DNN modules to import. But I really want to improve CMSIMport to work with the standard/most used modules. So my question is which modules should be supported out of the box.

Thanks,

Richard

• jigar 170 posts 233 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 14:45
    jigar

Hi Richard,

Thanks for coming back to this post trail.

Uhh though to answer. I know this is quite hard stuff to automate the process of migrating from one CMS to another. Though very basic module's support can be handy.

Now how to find DNN's basic module is again a question because basic module can be found two ways one by functionalities and another by maximum usages (downloads).

My view following should be there.

1. http://dnntexthtml.codeplex.com/ (Basic HTML Editor base module)
    2. http://dnnblog.codeplex.com/ (Basci blog module)

Let me know if i am mistaken any where.

Many thanks

Jigar

Jan 31, 2011 @ 14:52
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jigar,

Thanks. I was thinking about support for Announcements (http://dnnannouncements.codeplex.com/) and users as well.

You are right about the architectual differences between the two systems but it would still save a lot of time to import these items out of the box.

Thanks,

Richard

• Roberta Freese 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 17:08
    Roberta Freese

Yes, Announcements, I would prioritize that one.  Also Text/HTML is a very simple content type.  If you are feeling more adventurous, Blog, Forum, and Repository are very useful and commonly installed modules for DNN.

Feb 07, 2011 @ 17:16
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Think I will start with the basic few. There is always a next version to add support for other modules ;-).

Thanks,

Richard

• Johan 38 posts 88 karma points
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 10:27
    Johan

Hi Richard

How did this project work out for you? I have a 20+ sites that will need converting from DNN to Umbraco

Jan 28, 2013 @ 07:20
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Johan,

It's still on the radar but didn't implement special data providers yet. What modules from DNN do you need to import, maybe I can create those easily?

Thanks,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft