Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 16:09
    Rob Watkins

Business Website Starter Kit - 4.6.1 new install

I have set up a brand new 4.6.1 install using the Business Website starter kit; I want to set up some blog navigation templates but having problems; when I create a new blog post the dated folders are not created automatically, so the archive macro shows nothing.

I presume they are supposed to be created automatically? What could the problem be?

Jan 27, 2011 @ 16:29
    Rob Watkins

Actually, has anyone got the blog working from the starter kit? There seems to be a lot of bugs.

For example, the date folder document type is aliased "DateFolder" but umbBlogArchive.xslt is looking "umbDateFolder"

The blog post document type is aliased "umbBlogPost" but umbBlogArchive.xslt is counting "BlogPost"

These are probably easily fixable, however, I'm still stuck on the lack of auto folders. It would seem easier to just delete everything blog related and install the standalone Blog4Umbraco, which I know works.

I'm not too convinced about the usefulness of including a starter kit that makes more work than simply starting from scratch.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 22:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rob

You're right the XSLT stuff is easily fixed by changing the "umbDateFolder" to "DateFolder" in the XSLT.

But could you describe what you're doing to create an autofolder?

It should be working out of the box when you right click "Blog" and create a blogpost. Once it saved it should appear in a year folder named 2011.

hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 27, 2011 @ 22:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rob

You're right the XSLT stuff is easily fixed by changing the "umbDateFolder" to "DateFolder" in the XSLT.

But could you describe what you're doing to create an autofolder?

It should be working out of the box when you right click "Blog" and create a blogpost. Once it saved it should appear in a year folder named 2011.

hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 28, 2011 @ 10:48
    Rob Watkins

Hi Jan! Reading my post it comes across as rather arsey, sorry about that! It was just before I had to dash off for the day so I was a bit stressed.

I'm afraid I have now deleted the starter kit blog stuff and installed the standalone package as I needed to get it working urgently, but these are the exact steps I took:

1. Installed Umbraco 4.6.1
    2. On starter kit step, selected the Business Website
    3. Logged in
    4. Deleted "News" node
    5. Renamed "Blog" node to "News" (the news for this site needs to be bloggy)
    6. Right clicked on newly renamed "News" node and created new Blogpost

The blog post creates fine but in the root folder - no dated folders are created.

I seem to remember I got asked for the Post Date as it is a mandatory field as well, whereas in the standalone blog package this defaults to today's date.

I know trying to debug this based on things I remember doing is going to be a nightmare, so if it's not obvious, then I can revist this issue if it happens on the next install.

Jan 28, 2011 @ 21:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rob

I have just made a local installation based on the business starter kit and I can see that there seems to be a couple of bugs with it. Some of them have already been created as work items on codeplex

If you need a blog then I suggest that you install the "blog4umbraco" package and uninstall the starter kit since the blog in there is buggy, which you have already eperienced.

It should not be neccesary to manually set the date on the blogpost since it should be done automatically and the autofolders should of course also be working out of the box.

So in short for now uninstall the business starter kit and install the blog4umbraco package. It also seems like there are bugs with news not being configured properly in the document types etc.

/Jan

Jan 31, 2011 @ 11:20
    Rob Watkins

Thanks Jan. If it helps anyone else, as well as installing the standalone Blog 4 Umbraco package, I used Tom Smith's workaround of removing the pingServices (see http://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/blog-4-umbraco/using-blog-4-umbraco/16536-Creating-and-publishing-a-new-blog-post-via-the-editor?p=0#comment62024) and now the blog is working perfectly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft